Academic Catalogs

Transfer Information

Associate Degree for Transfer

California Community College students who receive an Associate Degree for Transfer are eligible for admission with junior standing into the California State University (CSU) system. A student who has earned one of these degrees will not be guaranteed admission for a specific major or campus but will be given priority admission consideration to the local CSU campus and to a program or major that is determined by the California State University to be similar to the transfer AA degree. Upon enrollment at the CSU campus, the student will be eligible to graduate with 60 remaining semester units. To find out which CSU campuses accept each degree as similar, please visit the California Degree with a Guarantee website.

Students who have been awarded an Associate Degree for Transfer are able to complete their remaining requirements for the 120-unit baccalaureate degree within 60 semester or 90 quarter units.

Current and prospective community college students are strongly encouraged to meet with a counselor to review their options for transfer and to develop an educational plan that best meets their goals and needs. Send a message to the Counseling Department to get started.

Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements

The following are required for all Associate Degrees for Transfer:

  1. Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units. A minimum of 12 units must be in residence within Coast Colleges (Coastline College, Golden West College and/or Orange Coast College).
  2. Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum GPA of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with a counselor for more information.
  3. Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an Associate Degree for Transfer major as detailed in the catalog. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of “C” or better or a “P” if the course is taken on a “pass-no pass” basis (title 5 § 55063).
  4. Certified Completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth - Coastline’s Option 2 General Education pattern), OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC - Coastline Option 3 General Education pattern).

Approved Associate Degrees for Transfer

The following Associate Degrees for Transfer are currently approved. Additional majors are under development. Please see a counselor and the Coastline Transfer Articulation webpage for more information.

Course Identification Numbering System (C-ID)

The Course Identification Numbering System (C-ID) is a statewide numbering system independent from the course numbers assigned by local California community colleges. A C-ID number next to a course signals that participating California colleges and universities have determined that courses offered by other California community colleges are comparable in content and scope to courses offered on their own campuses, regardless of their unique titles or local course number. Students should always go to to confirm how each college’s course will be accepted at a particular four-year college or university for transfer credit.

The C-ID numbering system is useful for students attending more than one community college and is applied to many of the transferable courses students need as preparation for transfer. Students should always check with a counselor to determine how C-ID designated courses fit into their educational plans for transfer because these course requirements may change and because courses may be modified and qualified for or deleted from the C-ID database.

Preparation for Transfer

Students considering transferring to a CSU, UC or private college should plan as early as possible. Make an appointment to meet with a counselor for assistance in developing a Student Educational Plan (SEP) that outlines both your major and general education requirements. Send a message to the Counseling Department.

Strategies for Successful Transfer

Identify your Major

  • Enroll in Counseling C104 or C105
  • Visit the Coastline Transfer Center and Career Center at the Fountain Valley Student Services Center
  • Meet with a counselor to explore majors
  • Check out Exploring Majors on
  • Explore majors at the CSU or UC
  • Explore majors on the Eureka Information System (see counselor)

Choose a University

  • Visit the Transfer Center at the Fountain Valley Student Services Center
  • Take advantage to meet with university representatives at scheduled Coastline visits
  • Attend the Transfer events and workshops
  • Attend college fairs, preview days, open houses, virtual university tours
  • Research and visit university websites

Determine Requirements

  • Identify university admission requirements
  • Identify the best general education option pattern
  • Identify major preparation requirements
  • Visit
  • Review university catalogs and websites
  • Determine GPAs for each major to have a competitive university application

Develop a Transfer Plan

  • Meet with a counselor regularly to help you develop and maintain your educational plan or if change in major. Send a message to the Counseling Department.
  • Be aware of application deadlines for admissions, financial aid, and scholarships
  • Clean up substandard grades with course repetition or Academic Renewal (see index)
  • Don’t hesitate to ask for help when you have questions or concerns


ASSIST is an online transfer information system that shows how course credits earned at one public California college or university can be applied when transferred to another. ASSIST is the official repository of articulation for California’s public colleges and universities and provides the most accurate and up-to-date information about student transfer in California. You can use ASSIST to find community college courses that are transferable to a UC or CSU campus and to determine how those courses might be used to satisfy specific subject matter requirements for admissions, General Education, or lower division major preparation. You can also use ASSIST to explore the majors available at University of California and California State University campuses.

California State Universities (CSU)

All 23-campuses of the California State University welcome applications from transfer students. If a student completes college units after the summer following his/her graduation from high school, he/she is considered a transfer student. The majority of transfer students enter the CSU as “upper-division” transfers. Upper-division transfers must complete at least 60 semester units or 90 quarter units before transfer, maintain a 2.0 GPA or better (a higher GPA is recommended to remain competitive) in all transferable college units and be in good standing at the college or university attended. Some students enter as “lower-division” transfer students if they completed fewer than 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter units). Visit California State University Apply website for admissions and application procedures. Students may also complete an Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT), which provides the student with some CSU admission benefits (see index for more information on ADTs).

Academic Planning for Prospective Transfers

Prior to meeting with a counselor, students unsure of their major should first concentrate on completing the lower-division general education requirements. Of these requirements, the highest priorities are the general education requirements in the Written Communication (Freshman Composition-English C100), Oral Communications (Communication Studies), and Critical Thinking (English C102, Philosophy C115 or Communication Studies C220), —along with a general education course in Mathematics (Quantitative Reasoning). While completion of all general education requirements is not required for admission, it is important that students complete as many of the lower-division general education requirements as possible prior to transfer and to have a competitive application. If students are pursuing a high-unit major that requires extensive lower-division prerequisites, they may not be able to complete all lower-division general education requirements prior to transfer.  Meet with a counselor to determine which general education courses to take to fulfill major and to develop a successful transfer timeline.

General Education/Breadth Requirements

CSU provides California Community College transfers with two options for fulfilling CSU lower-division general education requirements: CSU General Education Breadth (GE-Breadth) and the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC). For a list of courses that meet these requirements, refer to Option 2 and 3 in this catalog. You may also visit for both general education and articulated major requirements. Please contact a counselor for guidance and to develop or update the Student Education Plan (SEP)

Impacted Majors

Many CSU and UC campuses have multiple impacted majors that require additional admission criteria. These specific criteria must be met before transfer for a student to be eligible for admission. Generally, the Impacted majors remain the same from one year to the next, but the criteria are subject to change. Students are encouraged to meet with a counselor or contact the campus directly for the most current information on impaction. Send a message to the Counseling Department.

Detailed information about CSU impacted campuses and majors can be accessed at the California State University Impaction at the CSU webpage.

University of California (UC)

A transfer applicant, according to the University, is a student who has enrolled in a fall, winter, or spring session at another college or university after high school. A student who meets this definition cannot disregard his or her college record and apply as a freshman.  There are 9 UC campuses.  If a student has college units, complete the AA/AS for UC transfer and be admitted to a UC at the junior level!

Prospective transfer applicants should plan their coursework carefully. Selected courses should help them 1) meet the minimum admission requirements for transfer, 2) prepare them for their major and 3) fulfill recommended general education requirements. All courses must be UC transferable.

Admission Requirements

In addition to meeting the minimum admission requirements, a student should adhere to any special application or screening procedures for the selected major or UC campus. Additional requirements for highly competitive majors can also be identified through articulation agreements (available at Students should enroll in the courses that meet these requirements. To earn 60 semester (90 quarter) units before transferring, the student should select courses that meet the eligibility, lower-division major-preparation, and appropriate general education/breadth requirements.

Major-Preparation Requirements

Transfer students should take courses that meet major requirements. In most cases, completing at least a portion of the major requirements is essential to gain admission to the major. The Transfer Preparation Paths, available at University of California Transfer Pathways webpage, outline the major preparation requirements at each UC campus for the most popular majors. They are particularly useful in helping students identify major-preparation coursework that will prepare them for multiple UC campuses. Information on major preparation requirements is also available at

General Education/Breadth Requirements

Transfer applicants to the University from California community colleges may satisfy lower-division general education requirements by completing the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC). For a list of courses that meet these requirements, refer to Coastline’s General Education Option 3 in this catalog. You may also visit for course information. Please contact a counselor for additional guidance.

Minimum Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for admission as a junior UC transfer student, a student must complete 60 semester (90 quarter) units of transferable college credit with a GPA of at least 2.4 (2.8 for nonresidents) before transfer. However a higher GPA is recommended to remain competitive. No more than 14 semester (21 quarter) units may be taken Pass/Not Pass.

Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG)

Coastline College has Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) agreements with UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Merced, UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz, and UC Riverside. By participating in a Transfer Admission Guarantee program, students receive early review of their academic records, early admission notification, and specific guidance about major preparation and general education coursework. Coastline College encourages students to take advantage of these agreements. Contact a counselor to determine eligibility. Also, contact the Transfer Center to meet with a UC counselor, representative.  For more information and application procedures, see the University of California Transfer Admission Guarantee webpage.

UC Credit Limitations

Some of the courses which are transferable to the University of California indicate they have credit limitations. Credit limitations can be found in a course's description in the Coastline Catalog, or on the UC Transferable Course List available in the Coastline Transfer Center and Counseling Department,  and also online on the Transfer Center and Transfer Articulation webpages.

Independent Colleges and Universities

Coastline maintains articulation agreements with many private colleges and universities. Check the Coastline Transfer Articulation webpage for links to our agreements. Visit the Coastline Transfer Center webpage for a list of transfer universities—UC, CSU, Private, and Out-of-State schools. We also recommend that you speak with a counselor to assist you with creating a Student Education Plan (SEP) to help meet your educational goals. Contact the Transfer Center to connect with a CA Private Independent or Out-of-State counselor, representative.

Additionally, Coastline partners with many four-year schools, including military-friendly colleges, so you can transfer your Coastline Associate degree or units into Bachelor-degree programs with ease. For our Veteran Students, contact a Military Counselor or contact the Transfer Center for current information.

Educational Options in California


Major courses only. Number of units required varies. A series of special major courses, all related to a particular occupational skill. Offered by community colleges and private educational organizations. Certificates help students prepare for new careers or upgrade current employment skills. 


Major courses plus general education courses and electives, 60 units required. Usually referred to as Associate of Arts (A.A.) or Associate of Science (A.S.) degrees.


Major courses plus general education courses and electives, 60 units required. Usually referred to as Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees. Similar to traditional Associate Degrees, but coursework designed to facilitate transfer to the Cal State University system. 


Major courses plus general education and electives, 120-132 total units required. Usually referred to as Bachelor of Science (B.S.) or Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degrees. You may complete the first two years at a community college and then transfer to a four-year university.


Bachelor's degree plus graduate courses in a specialized area. Bachelor's degree units (120-132) plus approximately 36 units. Usually referred to as a Master of Science (M.S.) or Master of Arts (M.A.) degrees. Normally requires two additional years full-time work after completion of bachelor's degree.


Advanced training beyond a bachelor's or master's degree. Units vary, depending on field of study. Usually referred to as Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) or Doctor of Education (Ed.D.). Normally requires three to five additional years of full-time work after completion of master's degree.