Communication Studies 2.0, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer
Banner Code: 3_AAT_CMST2
Control Number: 43057
Financial Aid Eligible
The Coastline College Associate in Arts for Transfer in Communication Studies 2.0 program empowers students with the tools to analyze and improve communication in their personal, academic, public, and professional interactions. Students will study and learn to effectively construct, evaluate, and communicate appropriate messages in a variety of communicative situations. By completing this program students will be prepared to become effective contributors and leaders in their communities and chosen careers.
Associate Degrees for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) are open to all Coastline students. Students who do not plan on transferring to a California State University school should consult their Counselor regarding the benefits of an AA-T/AS-T degree based on their goals. Students earning an AA-T or AS-T and intending on transferring to a California State University school receive transfer admission benefits for specific majors at many California State University campuses. Visit the Transfer Information catalog page for more information.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Use written and oral tools to analyze and improve communication in personal, academic, public, and professional interactions.
- Effectively deliver oral presentations in a range of settings to diverse audiences.
- Construct written messages for various purposes to diverse audiences.
- Observe, evaluate, and competently exercise interpersonal communication skills.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units. A minimum of 12 units must be in residence at Coastline College.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an Associate Degree for Transfer major as detailed in the catalog.
- Certified Completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth - Coastline’s Option 2 General Education pattern), OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC - Coastline Option 3 General Education pattern).
|Complete the following:|
|CMST C100||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|CMST C110||Public Speaking||3|
|Select Three Courses:|
|Small Group Communication|
|Essentials of Argumentation|
|Introduction to Mass Communications|
|Select One Course:|
Any List A course not already used
|Fundamentals of Human Communication|
|Introduction to Psychology|
|Introduction to Sociology|
|Units Required for the Major||18|
|CSU General Education or IGETC pattern||37-39|
|Transfer Electives as needed to reach 60 transferable units||Varies|