Studio Arts, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer
Banner Code: 3_AAT_ARTS
Control Number: 43031
Financial Aid Eligible
The Associate in Arts in Studio Arts for Transfer at Coastline College fosters a deep appreciation for the greater understanding of the studio arts. Students in this discipline will gain the technical skills required to develop an artistic portfolio relating to the use of tools, materials and concepts in art and design. A Studio Art program teaches students to apply the fundamentals of art-making to the creation of an aesthetically pleasing work of art or design. Possible career paths include advertising, graphic design, arts administration, and illustration. Typically, institutions that employ art majors include museums, auction houses, art councils, educational institutions, interior design firms, advertising agencies, and film and media production companies.
Associate Degrees for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) are open to all Coastline students. Students who do not plan on transferring to a California State University school should consult their Counselor regarding the benefits of an AA-T/AS-T degree based on their goals. Students earning an AA-T or AS-T and intending on transferring to a California State University school receive transfer admission benefits for specific majors at many California State University campuses. Visit the Transfer Information catalog page for more information.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Display competence in the use of tools, materials and concepts by completing a portfolio of original art and design projects.
- Demonstrate ability to evaluate works of art and design through critical discussion and written assignments.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the contribution of art and design to human experience.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units. A minimum of 12 units must be in residence at Coastline College.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an Associate Degree for Transfer major as detailed in the catalog.
- Certified Completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth - Coastline’s Option 2 General Education pattern), OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC - Coastline Option 3 General Education pattern).
|ART C101||Survey of Art: Renaissance to Contemporary||3|
|ART C110||Color and Design: 2-D||3|
|ART C111||Color and Design - 3-D||3|
|ART C120||Drawing 1||3|
|List A: Select One (3 units)||3|
|Survey of Art: Prehistory through Late Gothic|
|History of Asian Art|
|Arts of Africa, Oceania, and Indigenous North America|
|List B: Select 3 (9 units)||9|
|Life Drawing 1|
|Introduction to Digital Art and Media|
|Life Drawing 2|
|Units Required for Major||24|
|CSU General Education or IGETC Pattern||37-39|
|Transfer electives as needed to reach 60 transferable units||Varies|
|Total for Degree||60|