Art History, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer
Banner Code: 3_AAT_ARTH
Control Number: 43029
Financial Aid Eligible
The Associate in Arts in Art History for Transfer at Coastline College fosters a deep appreciation for the greater understanding of art. Students in this discipline will gain the knowledge required to develop a global perspective relating to aesthetics, culture, diversity, and human creativity. An Art History program teaches students to weave the fundamentals of art and its history by using terminology, an appreciation of process, and visual literacy, to articulate the historical, social, and aesthetic functions of art. Art History is useful for students considering careers in museums and other cultural institutions, specifically as curators or archivists. Other avenues include art appraiser, art lawyer, and art/cultural consulting. Students graduating with an Associate in Arts in Art History for Transfer are well-positioned to complete a bachelor’s degree in Art History with an additional 60 units of upper-division coursework.
Associate Degrees for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) are open to all Coastline students. Students who do not plan on transferring to a California State University school should consult their Counselor regarding the benefits of an AA-T/AS-T degree based on their goals. Students earning an AA-T or AS-T and intending on transferring to a California State University school receive transfer admission benefits for specific majors at many California State University campuses. Visit the Transfer Information catalog page for more information.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Interpret the major movements and concepts in art history.
- Conduct original research in the history of art.
- Comprehend the significance and application of art historical styles, cultures, and artists using appropriate art terminology.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units. A minimum of 12 units must be in residence at Coastline College.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an Associate Degree for Transfer major as detailed in the catalog.
- Certified Completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth - Coastline’s Option 2 General Education pattern), OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC - Coastline Option 3 General Education pattern).
|ART C100||Survey of Art: Prehistory through Late Gothic||3|
|ART C101||Survey of Art: Renaissance to Contemporary||3|
|ART C120||Drawing 1||3|
|List A: Select One (3 units)||3|
|History of Asian Art|
|Art of the Ancient Americas|
|Arts of Africa, Oceania, and Indigenous North America|
|List B: Select One (3 units)||3|
|Color and Design: 2-D|
|Color and Design - 3-D|
|Life Drawing 1|
|Introduction to Digital Art and Media|
|List C: Select One (3 units)||3|
|Any List A or B course not already used or from:|
|Contemporary Art History|
|The History of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Art|
|The History and Appreciation of Italian Renaissance Art|
|World History 1|
|Introduction to the Humanities|
|History and Appreciation of Music|
|Units Required for Major||18|
|CSU General Education or IGETC pattern||37-39|
|Transfer Electives as needed to reach 60 transferable units||Varies|