Elementary Teacher Education, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer
The Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer degree (AA-T) is designed for prospective California State University (CSU) transfer students who are preparing for careers as Elementary School Teachers.
To qualify for the Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer a student must complete the following requirements:
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum G.P.A. of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors may require a higher G.P.A. Please consult with a counselor for more information.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (Option 2); OR the Cal State version of the Intersegment General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC – Option 3).
- Completion of all the courses in the major as detailed below. Courses for the major must be completed with a grade of C or better or a “P” if the course is taken on a “pass-no pass” basis.
Note: Four-Year institutions do not recommend students take major prep courses for Pass/No Pass.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Make an informed decision regarding pursuing a multiple subject teaching credential and be eligible for a seamless transfer to a CSU Teacher Preparation Pathway.
- Work effectively with students, teachers, parents, colleagues, and administrators in a school and classroom setting.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units. A minimum of 12 units must be in residence at Coastline College.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an Associate Degree for Transfer major as detailed in the catalog.
- Certified Completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth - Coastline’s Option 2 General Education pattern), OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC - Coastline Option 3 General Education pattern).
|EDUC C200||The Teaching Profession||3.5|
|PSYC C116||Child Growth and Development||3|
|BIOL C100||Introduction To Biology||3|
|BIOL C100L||Introduction to Biology Lab||1|
|CHEM C140||Survey of Chemistry and Physics||4|
|or PHYS C140||Survey of Chemistry and Physics|
and Geology Lab
|or GEOL C106||Earth Sciences for Teachers|
|MATH C104||Mathematics for Elementary Teachers||3|
|CMST C110||Public Speaking||3|
|ENGL C100||Freshman Composition||4|
|ENGL C140||Appreciation of Literature||3|
|GEOG C100||World Regional Geography||3|
|HIST C161||World History 1||3|
|HIST C170||United States History to 1876||3|
|PSCI C180||American Government||3|
|Complete one course|
|ENGL C102||Critical Reasoning, Reading, and Writing||3|
|Complete one course|
|MUS C100||History and Appreciation of Music||3|
|Complete additional units from the following to meet the 60 unit degree requirement|
|Introduction to Computers In Education: Technology Proficiencies for Teachers 1|
|Introduction to Teaching and Learning in Diverse Contemporary Classrooms|
|Statistics for Elementary Teachers|
|Geometry for Elementary Teachers|
|Introduction to Theater|