Spanish, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer
The sequence of classes leading to the Associate in Arts in Spanish for Transfer Degree helps the students develop proficiency in Spanish and provides them with the intercultural sophistication necessary to function comfortably and effectively in a Spanish-speaking environment. Courses are designed to develop the students’ speaking, reading, writing, and listening skills, as well as provide a general overview of Spanish-speaking cultures around the globe.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Communicate in Spanish in a variety of real-world settings demonstrating the ability to read, write, speak, and listen with intermediate level fluency.
- Demonstrate appreciation for cultural and global diversity in Spanish-speaking countries.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units. A minimum of 12 units must be in residence at Coastline College.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an Associate Degree for Transfer major as detailed in the catalog.
- Certified Completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth - Coastline’s Option 2 General Education pattern), OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC - Coastline Option 3 General Education pattern).
Requirements for the Major
|Students will complete all of the following:|
|Select one of the following:||5|
|Elementary Spanish 1|
| Elementary Spanish 1A|
and Elementary Spanish 1B
|Select one of the following:|
|SPAN C185||Elementary Spanish 2||5|
|or SPAN C185A|
& SPAN C185B
| Elementary Spanish 2A|
and Elementary Spanish 2B
|SPAN C280||Intermediate Spanish 1||4|
|SPAN C285||Intermediate Spanish 2||4|
|HIST C115||Latin American History and Culture||3|
|or HIST C122||Chicano History|
|Select as needed: 1|
|Total Required for the Major||21|
|CSU General Education or IGETC pattern:||37-39|
|Transfer Electives as needed to reach 60 transferable units|
If a student places out of any core course(s) and is not awarded units for that course, the student will need to take additional units to compensate for the course/units required to reach at least 18 total units in the major.