Biology, Associate in Science Degree for Transfer
Biology is the study of living organisms from the macro level to the molecular level. Examples of biological science fields encompassed by biology are ecology, evolutionary biology, zoology, botany, cell, and molecular biology, genetics, marine science, and biotechnology. Many of the core concepts studied in biology also directly relate to various health care disciplines such as anatomy, immunology, microbiology, and physiology.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Explain three fundamental processes present in biology such as metabolism, homeostasis, growth, reproduction, development, genetics or organism physiology.
- Given the appropriate laboratory setting, design and apply the process of science to address a hypothesis.
- Communicate biological concepts effectively in written and/or oral forms.
- Find, select and evaluate scientific information present in primary research literature, mass media, online or other sources.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units. A minimum of 12 units must be in residence at Coastline College.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an Associate Degree for Transfer major as detailed in the catalog.
- Certified Completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth - Coastline’s Option 2 General Education pattern), OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC - Coastline Option 3 General Education pattern).
|BIOL C180||Cell and Molecular Biology||4|
|BIOL C185||Diversity of Organisms||5|
|List A: Suppporting science and mathematics|
|CHEM C180||General Chemistry A||4|
|CHEM C180L||General Chemistry A Lab||1|
|CHEM C185||General Chemistry B||4|
|CHEM C185L||General Chemistry B Lab||1|
|MATH C180||Calculus 1||5|
& PHYS C125
|Algebra Based Physics: Mechanics|
and Algebra Based Physics: Electricity and Magnetism
|or PHYS C185|
& PHYS C280
| Calculus Based Physics: Mechanics|
and Calculus Based Physics: Electricity and Magnetism
|List B: Additional major preperation||4-5|
|Organic Chemistry A|
and Organic Chemistry A Lab
|Introduction to Statistics|
|Introduction To Microbiology|
|Total Required for the Major||36-37|
|CSU General Education or IGETC pattern||37-39|