Economics, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer
An Associate in Arts for Transfer in Economics degree will introduce students to the fundamentals of economics. Students will develop a set of principles and models in microeconomics and macroeconomics that can be used to explain the decision-making process of individuals, firms, and society with a focus on application of these concepts to solving economic problems. The degree also emphasizes enhancement of quantitative skills to be applied to economic applications and decision making. The courses in the Economics degree will provide students with the necessary foundation needed as preparation for upper division courses in economic theory in completion of a Baccalaureate Degree in Economics.
The Associate in Arts for Transfer in Economics degree will prepare students for transfer to the CSU for a degree in Economics. It also provides an AA degree for students who plan to transfer to the UC for a degree in Economics.
Degree completion requirements include:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University, including both of the following:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education – Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
Courses for the major must be completed with a grade of C or better or a “P” if the course is taken on a “pass-no pass” basis.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply fundamental economic concepts and standard economic models to explain the interaction of the major components of the American economy regarding relevant economic issues – i.e., output, employment, growth, inflation, and stabilization policy – in both the short and long run. (Knowledge)
- Select appropriate models, concepts, and methods of analysis to apply to quantitative and qualitative problem situations while communicating the economic logic upon which the solution is based. (Effective communication)
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units. A minimum of 12 units must be in residence at Coastline College.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an Associate Degree for Transfer major as detailed in the catalog.
- Certified Completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth - Coastline’s Option 2 General Education pattern), OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC - Coastline Option 3 General Education pattern).
|ECON C170||Principles of Microeconomics||3|
|ECON C175||Principles of Macroeconomics||3|
|MATH C160||Introduction to Statistics||4|
|MATH C180||Calculus 1||5|
|Select one of the following:||3-5|
|Information Systems, Programming, and Database Management|
|ECON C110||Economic Issues and Policy 1||3-5|
|or MATH C280||Calculus 3|
|Total Required for the Major||21-25|
|CSU General Education or IGETC pattern||37-39|
|Transfer Electives as needed to reach 60 transferable units|
|Total for Degree||60|
Or any course not previously taken from List A.