Geology, Associate in Science Degree for Transfer
The Geology Associate in Science for Transfer is designed to foster in students an understanding of the Earth: the processes that affect its surface and interior, its formation and evolution through time, and its functioning as the physical environment for the living world. Geology students build critical thinking, research, and knowledge application skills that are useful in a variety of fields.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Communicate scientific concepts effectively in written and/or oral forms
- Find, select, and evaluate scientific information present in primary research literature, mass media, online, or other sources.
- Design and apply the process of science to address a hypothesis in a laboratory setting.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units. A minimum of 12 units must be in residence at Coastline College.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an Associate Degree for Transfer major as detailed in the catalog.
- Certified Completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth - Coastline’s Option 2 General Education pattern), OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC - Coastline Option 3 General Education pattern).
|Required Courses for the Major|
|GEOL C105||General Geology||3|
|GEOL C105L||Geology Lab||1|
|GEOL C185||Historical Geology||3|
|GEOL C185L||Historical Geology Lab||1|
|CHEM C180||General Chemistry A||4|
|CHEM C180L||General Chemistry A Lab||1|
|CHEM C185||General Chemistry B||4|
|CHEM C185L||General Chemistry B Lab||1|
|MATH C180||Calculus 1||5|
|MATH C185||Calculus 2||5|
|Total Required for the Major||28|
|CSU General Education or IGETC pattern||37-39|
|Transfer Electives as needed to reach 60 transferable units|