English, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer
The English Associate in Arts for Transfer degree emphasizes the critical reading and writing skills needed to analyze literature in academic terms. Students taking this major examine a variety of genres and gain a better understanding of a given literary work’s relevance to the time period in which it was written as well as the work's relationship to an author’s life, time, and culture. In other words, students develop the ability to analyze literature in context. Completion of this major provides a foundation for students interested in pursuing a B.A. in literature.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Write well-organized, well-developed expository essays using Standard English, with a clear thesis statement and supporting topic sentences and supporting details.
- Search for and find reliable, unbiased sources and use these sources in research papers, using correct MLA documentation.
- Evaluate a literary work in terms of style and descriptive technique, language, tone, mood, and literary conventions, such as symbolism, imagery, irony, and poetic devices such as meter and rhyme pattern.
- Analyze a given literary work and explain its relevance to the time period and genre in which it was written as well as the relationship between the events in an author’s life, time, and culture to the development of his or her writing.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units. A minimum of 12 units must be in residence at Coastline College.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an Associate Degree for Transfer major as detailed in the catalog.
- Certified Completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth - Coastline’s Option 2 General Education pattern), OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC - Coastline Option 3 General Education pattern).
Requirements for the Major
|Students will complete all of the following:|
|ENGL C102||Critical Reasoning, Reading, and Writing||3|
|ENGL C140||Appreciation of Literature||3|
|Select two of the following:||6|
|American Literature through the Civil War|
|American Literature 1865 to Present|
|British Literature to 1800|
|British Literature since 1800|
|Select one of the following or any course not taken above in List A||3|
|American Literature: The Short Story|
or ENGL C181
|Select one of the following or any course not taken above in List A or B:||3|
|Argumentative Writing and Critical Thinking through Literature|
|The International Short Story|
|Introduction to 20th Century Military Fiction|
|Gothic Victorian Literature|
|American Gothic Literature|
|Introduction to the Humanities|
|Introduction to History and Literature of Theater|
|Total Required for the Major||18|
|CSU General Education or IGETC pattern||37-39|
|Transfer Electives as needed to reach 60 transferable units|