Psychology, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer
Psychology is the scientific study of behavior and mental processes. Students majoring in psychology learn the major perspectives for understanding human behavior: behavioral, biological, cognitive, cross-cultural, evolutionary, humanistic, and psychodynamic. Students will acquire skills to analyze behavior, including statistical methods and research design, and will learn to document findings in APA style; descriptive research methods and experimental methods are covered. Students will gain an understanding of the following topics: neuroscience; sensation and perception; consciousness; learning; memory; thinking, language and intelligence; motivation and emotion; lifespan development; personality; social psychology; stress, health, and coping; psychological disorders; and therapies. Completion of the major provides a solid foundation for a psychology transfer program and many careers in the social service fields. A Master’s degree or higher is required for most counseling or research psychologist positions.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Characterize the nature of psychology as a science.
- Apply the major theories, principles, and concepts of psychology to everyday life.
- Utilize investigative methods to collect, interpret, and present scientific data on psychological topics.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units. A minimum of 12 units must be in residence at Coastline College.
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework.
- Completion of a minimum of 18 semester units in an Associate Degree for Transfer major as detailed in the catalog.
- Certified Completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth - Coastline’s Option 2 General Education pattern), OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC - Coastline Option 3 General Education pattern).
Requirement for the Major
|Students will complete all of the following:|
|MATH C160||Introduction to Statistics||4|
|PSYC C100||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|PSYC C280||Introduction to Research Methods in Psychology||4|
|BIOL C100||Introduction to Biology||3|
|or PSYC C250||Psychobiology|
|Select one of the following or any course from List A not used above:||3|
|Child Growth and Development|
|Life Span Developmental Psychology|
|Introduction to Sociology|
|Select one of the following or any course not selected from List A or B above:||3|
|Principles of Human Sexuality 1|
|Psychology of Aging|
|Total Required for the Major||20|
|CSU General Education or IGETC pattern||37-39|
|Transfer Electives as needed to reach 60 transferable units|
|Total for Degree||60|