Travel Specialist, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_TRAV
Control Number: 17707
These courses have been recommended by industry to provide essential preparation to sell, operate, supervise and manage within a travel agency or as an independent contractor of travel or home based agent. Courses have been organized to provide an understanding of techniques and knowledge necessary to develop effective leadership, decision-making skills, and successful communication among all departments contributing to positive, guest sales, and travel experiences.
Complete the Travel Specialist Certificate of Achievement and the Associate in Science graduation requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog. Note: this AS degree requires a minimum of 70 units for completion.
- The outcome of this certificate of achievement is to prepare students for employment with a retail or home-based agency, independent contractor, tour operator, cruise line, adventure company, receptive operator, or tourism/convention bureau.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|HTT A127||Destination Eastern Europe||3|
|HTT A130||Cultural Tourism||3|
|HTT A150||Travel and Tourism Career Development||3|
|HTT A156||Cruising and Vacation Packages||3|
|HTT A128||Destination Africa/Pacific||3|
|HTT A131||Computer Reservation Systems - SABRE||3|
|HTT A135||Homeland Security||3|
|HTT A185||Interviewing and Professional Development||3|
|HTT A105||Passport to Success||3|
|HTT A138||Sharing the Travel Experience||3|
|HTT A240||Hospitality and Toursim Marketing||3|
|HTT A284||Leadership and Strategic Management||3|
|HTT A299||Certified Travel Associate||3|
|HTT A125||Destination the Americas||3|
|HTT A157||Tour Escorting and Group Travel||3|
|HTT A158||Luxury, Incentive, and Corporate Travel||3|
|HTT A225||Travel and Tourism Internship||4|
|Program Major Units||52|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Total Minimum Degree Units||70|
Travel Specialist Suggested Electives
|HTT A199||Current Issues in Hospitality, Travel and Tourism||0.5-1.5|