Flight Attendant and Airline and Travel Careers, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_FAAT
Control Number: 17648
This program prepares men and women of all ages for the highly competitive flight attendant, or a customer service career in the airline and travel industry. Courses include airline, airport, and travel terminology codes, hiring qualifications, communication skills, appearance and image standards, written employment skills and oral interviewing techniques and strategies to set yourself apart. Students work on campus, and with community and charity events to enhance their public contact experience considered valuable for flight attendants and careers in the travel industry.
Complete the Flight Attendant and Airline and Travel Careers Certificate of Achievement and the Associate in Science graduation requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog. Note: this AS degree requires a minimum of 61 units for completion.
- The outcome for the Certificate of Achievement is to prepare students for employment as a flight attendant or ground customer service agent with the airline industry.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|ARLN A137||Operations, Terminology, & Safety||3|
|HTT A130||Cultural Tourism||3|
|HTT A131||Computer Reservation Systems - SABRE||3|
|HTT A150||Travel and Tourism Career Development||3|
|ARLN A139||Flight Attendant Qualifications and Opportunities||3|
|HTT A125||Destination the Americas||3|
|HTT A128||Destination Africa/Pacific||3|
|HTT A135||Homeland Security||3|
|HTT A105||Passport to Success||3|
|HTT A127||Destination Eastern Europe||3|
|HTT A180||Enhancing Guest Service||3|
|HTT A284||Leadership and Strategic Management||3|
|HTT A185||Interviewing and Professional Development||3|
|HTT A226||Airline Internship||4|
Flight Attendant and Airline Travel Careers Suggested Electives
|ARLN A117||Aviation Management||3|
|CMST A100||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|KIN A203||First Aid and CPR||2|
|HTT A138||Sharing the Travel Experience||3|
|HTT A199||Current Issues in Hospitality, Travel and Tourism||0.5-1.5|
|HTT A299||Certified Travel Associate||3|
|SPAN A180||Elementary Spanish 1||5|
|Program Major Units||43|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Minimum Degree Units||61|