Academic Catalogs

Awarding of Credit, Alternate Methods

Orange Coast College recognizes experiences outside of the traditional classroom setting. Awarded credit is not transferable to other colleges and universities; it is subject to the individual policies of the respective institutions. Please check with a counselor about your awarded credit. Additional college credit is awarded for prior learning as further described below:

Credit by Examination

Credit by Examination may be offered on a limited basis at the discretion of the respective instructional division. Students who have completed a minimum of 12 units at OCC, with good academic standing may inquire in the respective division office regarding eligible courses. If the course is eligible, students may petition through the division office and seek approval. Since Credit by Examination may not transfer to other institutions, students are strongly encouraged to make an appointment with a counselor. The final approval is determined by the respective division office.

  1. Contact the respective division office to determine course eligibility for Credit by Examination.
  2. If eligible, obtain and complete the petition from the respective division office and attach an official or unofficial OCC transcript showing successful completion of a minimum of 12 units at OCC prior to the petition, AND in good academic standing. There are no exceptions to this requirement.
  3. If the petition is approved by the dean and the instructor, take the petition to Enrollment Services in Watson Hall to file your petition for credit and make payment no later than the third week of the semester.
  4. Meet with the instructor at the agreed-upon time and place, and take the examination. Exam grades are final and will be posted to the transcript. Failure to successfully complete the examination will result in an unsatisfactory grade.

Students should not enroll in the course to be taken as Credit by Examination. The course credit is clearly identified on the student’s transcript and designated as “Credit by Examination.” Transferability of Credit by Examination is subject to review by other colleges and universities, and may not transfer. Units earned by examination are excluded from enrollment verifications, Financial Aid eligibility, and OCC residence requirements for associate degrees.

Licensure Credit

Radiologic Technologist: Forty-five units may be awarded for holders of valid Certified Radiologic Technologist State License (or equivalent agency). Students must show the original license to Enrollment Services in order to be eligible for this credit. Credits are posted to transcripts upon completion of 12 units of credit at Orange Coast College.

Other Licensure Credit: Other licenses issued by the State of California will be considered through the Academic Petition Council procedures as appropriate.

Military Service Credit

OCC recognizes and grants academic credit to veterans for eligible military service and training credit completed in the armed forces for a maximum of 15 units. To be eligible for academic credit, Veterans must have had at least one year of active duty service. OCC reserves the right to evaluate and grant credit based on the academic policies established by the College. Veterans may apply for evaluation of this credit by presenting official military service and training records — including a copy of discharge papers indicating honorable discharge — to Veteran’s Services in the Enrollment Center on the first floor of Watson Hall. Awarded credit will be applied once the student has completed 12 units at OCC. Credit earned for military training may count toward satisfying requirements for the Associate Degrees; military credit awarded may not transfer to other colleges. Veterans are advised to check with the college they plan to transfer to for information regarding awarding military credit. Under no circumstances will OCC graduate a student who has not completed 12 units of OCC coursework.

Technical Advanced Placement (TAP) Articulation

The TAP Program offers high school/ROP students an opportunity to transition from secondary education to community college in a seamless process. Many Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses taken during high school, offered by the high school or ROP, may be eligible for course articulation. If a course is articulated, there is an agreement between the high school/ROP and community college stating that the student will receive credit for the course if they receive a grade of  “B” or better. Students must provide the appropriate TAP Petition Form and Official High School Transcripts to the Counseling Office at OCC for processing. Additional information is available on the OCC website at