Business Employee, Associate in Arts Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AA_MBE
Control Number: 03990
This program will prepare students for employment in music stores, record shops, and other commercial music activities. Many opportunities in the business of music are available to students with a broad general knowledge of how this segment of the music industry functions in addition to traditional musical skills.
Complete the Business Employee Certificate of Achievement and Associate in Arts graduation requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic requirements of vocalists, guitarists and pianists
- Working Knowledge of basic studio techniques and equipment applications
- Prepare and deliver an effective sales presentation for a product or service.
- Organize, develop and prepare a written professional sales presentation for a product or service.
Associate in Arts Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
- GLOBAL AND MULTICULTURAL REQUIREMENT (Required for AA degree only) Some of the courses listed in this requirement can also be used to meet General Education Requirements. Courses that are repeatable for credit can only be used once in this area. - Select one or more courses from the following totaling 3 units: Anthropology A100*, A100H*, A102*, A190*, Art A108*, Communication Studies A155*, Counseling A107*, A107H*, Dance A130*, A133*, A135*, A137*, A138*, Early Childhood A126, English A152*, A173*, Ethnic Studies A100*, A150*, Fashion A125, Food and Nutrition A185, Geography A185*, History A101*, A110*, A141, A142, A145,* A150*, A151*, A152*, A161*, A161H*, A162*, A162H*, Philosophy A120*, Psychology A105*, Religious Studies A110*, A120*, A140*, A150*, A160, Sociology A100*, A100H*, A115*, A150*, A190* *Denotes courses that fulfill CSU GE Breadth and/ or IGETC requirements.
|MUS A139||History of Rock Music||3|
|MUS A141||Piano 1||1|
|MUS A145||Voice 1||1|
|MUS A262||Music as a Business||2|
|MUS A116||Basic Guitar||2|
|MUS A180||Theory 1||3|
|MUS A181||Musicianship 1||1|
|MUS A261||Recording Techniques 1||3|
|MKTG A110||Professional Selling||3|
|MUS A110||Computers in Music 1||3|
|Restricted Electives (see list)||5|
Business Employee Restricted Electives
|Select five units of the following:||5|
|Accounting for Small Business|
|Introduction to Entrepreneurship|
|Retail E-Commerce Management|
|Classical Guitar 1|
|Studio Guitar 1|
|Total Degree Units||27|
|AA General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Degree Units||60|