MIDI Applications, Certificate of Achievement
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_CN_MIDI
Control Number: 22403
This program is designed for the musician or computer professional who wants a concentrated course of study in the field of computer music. Courses are designed to emphasize the practical application of MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface).
- Create and perform musical compositions utilizing a standard scoring program.
- Create musical compositions utilizing standard music production programs that demonstrate competency in the following techniques: looping, sequencing, editing, and virtual synthesis.
- Demonstrate applications of studio recording techniques.
Orange Coast College offers two types of certificate awards in career programs designed to prepare the graduate to enter a particular field of employment. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the certificate must be completed at OCC.
- Certificate of Achievement - 8 units or more in a state-approved program. Certificates of Achievement are not automatically awarded. A petition must be filed in Enrollment Services or online at the beginning of the semester in which the student will be completing his or her final requirements. The petitioning periods are listed in the Graduation Requirements section of this catalog.
- Certificate of Specialization - 16 units or less in a locally approved program. Certificates of Specialization are not automatically awarded, not printed on official academic transcripts, and there is no acknowledgment of completion given at graduation. Please contact the division for details regarding the submission of petitions as procedures for each division vary. Most division offices prefer that students complete all of the required courses and then provide a copy of the transcript while some divisions allow petitions for Certificates of Specialization before finishing.
Minimum Grade Requirement
In order to be awarded a certificate, students are required to obtain a grade of “C” or better in all program-required courses. Grades of “CR” or “P” will be accepted whereas “CR” or “P” meets the equivalency of a “C” or better. A list of certificate programs can be found in the Programs A-Z section of this catalog. Check with a counselor to determine the requirements for completion.
|CIS A100||Introduction to Computer Applications||3|
|MUS A110||Computers in Music 1||3|
|MUS A111||Computers in Music 2||3|
|MUS A112||Computers in Music 3||3|
|MUS A113||Computers in Music 4||3|
|MUS A115||Fundamentals of Music||3|
|MUS A261||Recording Techniques 1||3|
|Restricted Electives (see list)||5|
MIDI Applications Restricted Electives
|Select five units of the following:||5|
|C++ Programming Language 1|
|Film Production 1|