Music, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer (AA-T)
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AAT_MUS
Control Number: 32231
Students graduating with an Associate in Arts in Music for Transfer Degree are well positioned to complete a Bachelor’s Degree in a similar major within the California State University system with 60 units of upper-division coursework. Students who complete the Music AA-T degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. Students must maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum 2.0 is required for CSU admission, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult a counselor for more information.
This degree is designed to prepare students to demonstrate competence and discipline in the study of music in all of its facets, read and audiate music, and demonstrate commitment to the serious study of music in practice and in theory, and provide comprehensive preparation for upper-division work.
- Demonstrate competence in the technical skills of music performance by presenting public performances of music compositions.
- Demonstrate ability to analyze and critique music techniques, style, and aesthetic strategies.
- Students will be eligible and prepared for admission (SB 1440 and Education Code 66746) to California State University system schools.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees:
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
- Minimum GPA of at least 2.0 in all CSU transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors require a higher GPA. Consult with a counselor for more information.
- Completion of a minimum of 18-semester units in the major as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C or better.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU General Education Breadth — Option 2) OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC — Option 3).
|MUS A180||Theory 1||3|
|MUS A181||Musicianship 1||1|
|MUS A185||Theory 2||3|
|MUS A186||Musicianship 2||1|
|MUS A280||Theory 3||3|
|MUS A281||Musicianship 3||1|
|MUS A285||Theory 4||3|
|MUS A286||Musicianship 4||1|
|MUS A290||Applied Music 1||2|
|Large Ensemble Courses (see list)||4|
|Total Major Units||22|
|CSU or IGETC for CSU||37-39|
|Transferable electives as needed to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
MUS A290 Applied Music is 0.5 unit course, which must be taken each semester for a total of two (2) units.
Music AA-T Large Ensemble Courses
|Complete four semesters of one-unit courses of the following:||4|
|Jazz Lab Ensemble|
|Symphonic Chamber Orchestra|
|Studio Jazz Ensemble|