Retail, Certificate of Achievement
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_CN_MGRT
Control Number: 22374
This program is approved by the Western Association of Food Chains and persons completing the prescribed courses are eligible to receive both the OCC Certificate of Achievement and the WAFC Retail Management Certificate.
- Function effectively as a manager in a retail environment using the skills, principles, and tools they have acquired.
- Apply the retail principles they have learned in their professional lives.
- Analyze the ethical dimensions of effective retail managers in everyday conduct and decision making.
- Demonstrate effective written and/or oral skills.
Orange Coast College offers two types of certificate awards in career programs designed to prepare the graduate to enter a particular field of employment. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the certificate must be completed at OCC.
- Certificate of Achievement - 8 units or more in a state-approved program. Certificates of Achievement are not automatically awarded. A petition must be filed in Enrollment Services or online at the beginning of the semester in which the student will be completing his or her final requirements. The petitioning periods are listed in the Graduation Requirements section of this catalog.
- Certificate of Specialization - 16 units or less in a locally approved program. Certificates of Specialization are not automatically awarded, not printed on official academic transcripts, and there is no acknowledgment of completion given at graduation. Please contact the division for details regarding the submission of petitions as procedures for each division vary. Most division offices prefer that students complete all of the required courses and then provide a copy of the transcript while some divisions allow petitions for Certificates of Specialization before finishing.
Minimum Grade Requirement
In order to be awarded a certificate, students are required to obtain a grade of “C” or better in all program-required courses. Grades of “CR” or “P” will be accepted whereas “CR” or “P” meets the equivalency of a “C” or better. A list of certificate programs can be found in the Programs A-Z section of this catalog. Check with a counselor to determine the requirements for completion.
|ACCT A100||Accounting for Small Business||3-4|
|or ACCT A101||Financial Accounting|
|BUS A139||Business Communication||3|
|CIS A100||Introduction to Computer Applications||3|
|LEAD A200||Organizational Leadership||3|
|MGMT A100||Applied Management for Public and Private Organizations||3|
|MGMT A115||Human Relations and Supervision||3|
|MKTG A100||Introduction to Marketing||3|
|MKTG A200||Retail E-Commerce Management||3|
Retail Suggested Electives
|ACCT A102||Managerial Accounting||4|
|BUS A110||Business Law||3|
|BUS A138||Business English||3|
|MKTG A110||Professional Selling||3|
|MKTG A220||Retail Buying||3|