Management and Leadership Studies, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_MGMT
Control Number: 03961
The Management and Leadership Studies certificate program is designed to build and/or upgrade skills in leading and managing people while enhancing individual and organizational effectiveness within the workplace. Courses emphasize leading, organizing, planning, communicating, training, and controlling.
Complete the Certificate of Achievement and the Associate in Science Graduation Requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog.
- Function effectively in a leadership or management role using the skills, principles, and tools they have acquired.
- Apply the leadership and management principles they have learned in their personal and/or organizational lives.
- Distinguish between the qualities of effective and ineffective leaders and managers.
- Analyze the ethical dimensions of effective leaders and managers in everyday conduct and decision making.
- Demonstrate effective written and/or oral skills.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|BUS A100/A100H||Introduction to Business||3|
|CIS A100||Introduction to Computer Applications||3|
|CMST A100||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|MGMT A100||Applied Management for Public and Private Organizations||3|
|BUS A139||Business Communication||3|
|LEAD A180||Personal Leadership||3|
|MGMT A115||Human Relations and Supervision||3|
|BUS/MGMT A239||Professional Communication||3|
|LEAD A200||Organizational Leadership||3|
|MKTG A110 |
or CMST A110
|Professional Selling |
or Public Speaking
|BUS A110||Business Law||3|
|Restricted Elective||(see list)||3-4|
Management and Leadership Studies Restricted Electives
Select one (1) course from the following:
|ACCT A101||Financial Accounting||4|
|ACCT A102||Managerial Accounting||4|
|BUS A120||Personal Financial Success||3|
|CMST A110||Public Speaking||3|
|MKTG A100||Introduction to Marketing||3|
|MKTG A110||Professional Selling||3|
|Minimum Program Major Units||36-37|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Degree Units||60|