Retail, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_MGRT
Control Number: 16229
This program is approved by the Western Association of Food Chains and persons completing the prescribed courses are eligible to receive both the OCC Certificate of Achievement and the WAFC Retail Management Certificate.
Complete the Retail Certificate of Achievement and the Associate in Science graduation requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog.
- Function effectively as a manager in a retail environment using the skills, principles, and tools they have acquired.
- Apply the retail principles they have learned in their professional lives.
- Analyze the ethical dimensions of effective retail managers in everyday conduct and decision making.
- Demonstrate effective written and/or oral skills.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|ACCT A100||Accounting for Small Business||3-4|
|or ACCT A101||Financial Accounting|
|BUS A139||Business Communication||3|
|CIS A100||Introduction to Computer Applications||3|
|LEAD A200||Organizational Leadership||3|
|MGMT A100||Applied Management for Public and Private Organizations||3|
|MGMT A115||Human Relations and Supervision||3|
|MKTG A100||Introduction to Marketing||3|
|MKTG A200||Retail E-Commerce Management||3|
|Minimum Program Major Units||24-25|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Degree Units||60|
Retail Suggested Electives
|ACCT A102||Managerial Accounting||4|
|BUS A110||Business Law||3|
|BUS A138||Business English||3|
|MKTG A110||Professional Selling||3|
|MKTG A220||Retail Buying||3|