Management and Leadership Studies, Certificate of Achievement
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_CT_MGMT
Control Number: 22373
The Management and Leadership Studies certificate program is designed to build and/or upgrade skills in leading and managing people while enhancing individual and organizational effectiveness within the workplace. Courses emphasize leading, organizing, planning, communicating, training, and controlling.
- Function effectively in a leadership or management role using the skills, principles, and tools they have acquired.
- Apply the leadership and management principles they have learned in their personal and/or organizational lives.
- Distinguish between the qualities of effective and ineffective leaders and managers.
- Analyze the ethical dimensions of effective leaders and managers in everyday conduct and decision making.
- Demonstrate effective written and/or oral skills.
Orange Coast College offers two types of certificate awards in career programs designed to prepare the graduate to enter a particular field of employment. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the certificate must be completed at OCC.
- Certificate of Achievement - 8 units or more in a state-approved program. Certificates of Achievement are not automatically awarded. A petition must be filed in Enrollment Services or online at the beginning of the semester in which the student will be completing his or her final requirements. The petitioning periods are listed in the Graduation Requirements section of this catalog.
- Certificate of Specialization - 16 units or less in a locally approved program. Certificates of Specialization are not automatically awarded, not printed on official academic transcripts, and there is no acknowledgment of completion given at graduation. Please contact the division for details regarding the submission of petitions as procedures for each division vary. Most division offices prefer that students complete all of the required courses and then provide a copy of the transcript while some divisions allow petitions for Certificates of Specialization before finishing.
Minimum Grade Requirement
In order to be awarded a certificate, students are required to obtain a grade of “C” or better in all program-required courses. Grades of “CR” or “P” will be accepted whereas “CR” or “P” meets the equivalency of a “C” or better. A list of certificate programs can be found in the Programs A-Z section of this catalog. Check with a counselor to determine the requirements for completion.
|BUS A100/A100H||Introduction to Business||3|
|CIS A100||Introduction to Computer Applications||3|
|CMST A100||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|MGMT A100||Applied Management for Public and Private Organizations||3|
|BUS A139||Business Communication||3|
|LEAD A180||Personal Leadership||3|
|MGMT A115||Human Relations and Supervision||3|
|BUS/MGMT A239||Professional Communication||3|
|LEAD A200||Organizational Leadership||3|
|MKTG A110 |
or CMST A110
|Professional Selling |
or Public Speaking
|BUS A110||Business Law||3|
|Restricted Elective||(see list)||3-4|
Management and Leadership Studies Restricted Electives
Select one (1) course from the following:
|ACCT A101||Financial Accounting||4|
|ACCT A102||Managerial Accounting||4|
|BUS A120||Personal Financial Success||3|
|CMST A110||Public Speaking||3|
|MKTG A100||Introduction to Marketing||3|
|MKTG A110||Professional Selling||3|