Nutrition Education, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_NCNE
Control Number: 08668
Students who graduate from this program are prepared for employment in nutrition programs and industries in Southern California, encompassing weight control clinics, health and fitness organizations, community nutrition agencies, and manufacturers of nutrition related products.
Complete the Nutrition Education Certificate of Achievement and the Associate in Science graduation requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog.
- Graduates will be competent entry-level Nutrition Education Assistants meeting the employment needs of the community.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|FN/NC A100||Careers in Dietetics and Food Science||1|
|FN A144||Life Cycle Nutrition||3|
|FSM A160||Sanitation and Safety||3|
|FN A125||Vegetarian Nutrition||1|
|FN A180||Principles of Foods||3|
|NC A180||Introduction to Medical Nutrition Therapy||3|
|FN A171||Applied Nutrition||2|
|FN A185||Cultural Foods||2|
|NC A280||Intermediate Nutrition Care||2|
|NC A281||Supervised Practice 1||3|
|Minimum Program Major Units||30|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Degree Units||60|
Nutrition Education Suggested Electives
|FN A136||Nutrition, Fitness and Performance||3|
|HMDV A180||Child Growth and Development||3|