General Marketing, Certificate of Achievement
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_CN_MKGN
Control Number: 22376
The Marketing certificate programs are designed to train those individuals whose career paths involve the creative techniques of both oral and written sales presentations, advertising, and marketing. Courses emphasize the tools used by marketers, the environmental forces affecting the marketing process, sales communication skills, the promotion, marketing research, and advertising planning and strategy. All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
- Function effectively in a multitude of first-entry marketing positions using the skills, tools and principles they have acquired.
- Communicate effectively and persuasively in personal, organizational, and selling environments.
- Effectively apply and utilize their acquired knowledge of the principles of marketing to market and/or promote a business, product, or service.
Orange Coast College offers two types of certificate awards in career programs designed to prepare the graduate to enter a particular field of employment. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the certificate must be completed at OCC.
- Certificate of Achievement - 8 units or more in a state-approved program. Certificates of Achievement are not automatically awarded. A petition must be filed in Enrollment Services or online at the beginning of the semester in which the student will be completing his or her final requirements. The petitioning periods are listed in the Graduation Requirements section of this catalog.
- Certificate of Specialization - 16 units or less in a locally approved program. Certificates of Specialization are not automatically awarded, not printed on official academic transcripts, and there is no acknowledgment of completion given at graduation. Please contact the division for details regarding the submission of petitions as procedures for each division vary. Most division offices prefer that students complete all of the required courses and then provide a copy of the transcript while some divisions allow petitions for Certificates of Specialization before finishing.
Minimum Grade Requirement
In order to be awarded a certificate, students are required to obtain a grade of “C” or better in all program-required courses. Grades of “CR” or “P” will be accepted whereas “CR” or “P” meets the equivalency of a “C” or better. A list of certificate programs can be found in the Programs A-Z section of this catalog. Check with a counselor to determine the requirements for completion.
|BUS A100/A100H||Introduction to Business||3|
|BUS/MGMT A239||Professional Communication||3|
|MKTG A100||Introduction to Marketing||3|
|MKTG A110||Professional Selling||3|
|MKTG A130||Principles of Advertising||3|
|MKTG A150/A150H||International Marketing||3|
|Select nine units from the following:||9|
|Introduction to Mass Communications|