General Marketing, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_MKGN
Control Number: 03962
The Marketing certificate programs are designed to train those individuals whose career paths involve the creative techniques of both oral and written sales presentations, advertising, and marketing. Courses emphasize the tools used by marketers, the environmental forces affecting the marketing process, sales communication skills, the major components of modern advertising and promotion, marketing research, and advertising planning and strategy. All courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
Complete the Certificate of Achievement and the Associate in Science Graduation Requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog.
- Function effectively in a multitude of first-entry marketing positions using the skills, tools and principles they have acquired.
- Communicate effectively and persuasively in personal, organizational, and selling environments.
- Effectively apply and utilize their acquired knowledge of the principles of marketing to market and/or promote a business, product, or service.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|BUS A100/A100H||Introduction to Business||3|
|BUS/MGMT A239||Professional Communication||3|
|MKTG A100||Introduction to Marketing||3|
|MKTG A110||Professional Selling||3|
|MKTG A130||Principles of Advertising||3|
|MKTG A150/A150H||International Marketing||3|
|Select nine units from the following:||9|
|Introduction to Mass Communications|
|Program Major Units||27|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Degree Units||60|