Academic Catalogs

University of California Admission Requirements

Minimum admission requirements for transfer to the University of California are described below. The path students use depends on the degree to which they satisfied UC’s minimum eligibility requirements for freshmen at the time they graduated from high school.

Upper Division Transfer

In order to be eligible for admission to a UC campus as an upper division (Junior-level) transfer, students must complete the following:

  1. Complete 60 semester units or 90 quarter units of transferable college credit with a grade point average of at least 2.4 (no more than 14 semester/21 quarter units may be taken Pass/No Pass), and;
  2. Complete the following course pattern requirement, earning a grade of C or better in each course: two transferable college courses (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units each) in English composition, and; one transferable college course (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units) in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning, and; four transferable college courses (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units each) chosen from at least two of the following subject areas: the arts and humanities, the social and behavioral sciences, and the physical and biological sciences.

Lower Division Transfer

If a student was eligible for admission to the University when they graduated from high school – meaning they satisfied the Subject, Scholarship and Examination requirements, or were identified by the University during your senior year in high school as eligible under the Eligibility in the Local Context (ELC) program – they are eligible to transfer if you have a C (2.0) average in your transferable coursework.

If they met the Scholarship Requirement but did not satisfy the Subject Requirement, they must take transferable college courses in the missing subjects, earning a C or better in each required course, and have an overall C average in all transferable coursework to be eligible to transfer.

Note: While all UC Campuses welcome a large pool of junior-level transfers, most admit only a limited number of lower division transfers.

University of California General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)

The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is a series of courses prospective transfer students attending California Community Colleges may complete to satisfy the lower division breadth/general education requirements at both the University of California and the California State University.

Students have the option of completing the IGETC or the specific lower division breadth/general education requirements of the school or college for campus they plan to attend.

The IGETC is helpful to students who want to keep their options open – those who know they want to transfer but have not yet decided upon a particular campus. Certain students will not be well served by following the IGETC. Students with high unit majors, such as engineering or the physical and natural sciences, should concentrate on completing the prerequisites for the major that are used to determine eligibility for admission. Some majors will not accept IGETC in fulfillment of breadth requirements. Please check with a GWC Counselor, the Transfer Center, or for use of IGETC in the chosen university major.

The IGETC is not an admission requirement for most majors. Completing it does not guarantee admission to the campus or program of choice. However, completing the lower division breadth/general education requirement – whether through the IGETC or the campus specific requirements - may improve a transfer applicant’s chances for admission to a competitive campus and/or program.

Partial IGETC Certification is allowed with a maximum of two courses missing and completed after transfer. Please make an appointment with a GWC counselor for more information

What Is Certification?

Courses taken at the community college may be used to satisfy general education requirements for graduation from the University of California (UC). However, these courses must be specifically identified and verified by the community college before they will be recognized by the UC campus. This process is called certification. Certification of IGETC completion is the responsibility of the last community college a student attends prior to transfer.

What Courses Can Be Certified?

Courses taken at any regionally accredited college or university may be certified by GWC. GWC students who complete all their general education courses at GWC can have those courses certified. Coursework from another California community college will be applied to the subject area in which it is listed by the institution where the work was completed. Also, only those courses can be certified which were on the college’s approved IGETC list at the time they were taken by the student. Students in the Coast Community College District who take courses at Golden West, Orange Coast and/or Coastline must make sure that the courses are in the areas in which they need to meet general education requirements. The General Education patterns from all three district colleges are different. Coursework from all other fully accredited colleges and universities will be placed in the area in which the subject is listed in the GWC pattern. Coursework completed at colleges and universities outside the U.S.A. (non-regionally accredited) are not acceptable except for certification of competence in a language other than English.

How Do I Get My Courses Certified?

Students must request certification from the GWC Records Office when the request for sending their final transcript is made (Official Transcript Request Form). In order to complete the certification process, official transcripts of all colleges attended must be on file in the Records Office. If high school foreign language courses are being used to satisfy the UC Language Other Than English requirement (Area 6), official copies of high school transcripts must also be on file. If examinations, e.g., Advanced Placement, are used to meet IGETC requirements, official results must also be on file.

UC Locations and Contacts

UC Berkeley 1
Undergraduate Admissions
110 Sproul Hall #5800
Berkeley, CA 94720-5800
(510) 642-3175

UC Davis 2
Undergraduate Admissions
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616-8507
(530) 752-2971

UC Irvine 2
Admissions and Relations w/ School
260 Aldrich Hall
Irvine, CA 92697-1075
(949) 824-6703

Undergraduate Admissions
1147 Murphy Hall, Box 951436
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1436
(310) 825-3101

UC Merced 1
Admissions Processing
5200 North Lake Road
Merced, CA 95344
(209) 228-7178

UC Riverside 2
3106 Student Services Building
900 University Avenue
Riverside, CA 92521
(951) 827- 3411

UC San Diego 2
Undergraduate Admissions
9500 Gilman Drive MC 0021
La Jolla, CA 92093
(858) 822-0348

UC San Francisco 2, 3
Office of Admissions and Registrar
MU 200W, Box 0244
500 Parnassus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94143
(415) 476-2310

UC Santa Barbara 2
Office of Admissions – Application Processing
1210 Cheadle Hall
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-2014
(805) 893-2881

UC Santa Cruz 2
Office of Admissions –
Evaluation and Application Services
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
(831) 459-2131