Academic Catalogs

Transfer Information

Course Requirements for Transfer

Golden West College offers the first two years of a four-year college or university coursework. Students should consult a counselor for the required lower-division major requirements for the UC and CSU systems as four-year colleges and universities often make changes to their requirements. The requirements below are general admission guidelines, but individual campuses may have additional screening criteria for admission. Transfer Curriculum Guides are available at the Transfer Center and the Counseling Center. The most current transfer information is also available at (ASSIST). 

  1. Lower-division courses for the major. These courses consist of the freshman and sophomore equivalent coursework in a designated major and should be completed prior to transferring to a four-year institution. They provide background and preparation so students are ready to concentrate on the major beginning in their junior year. The major requirements for CSU and UC can be found in the Transfer Center, Counseling Center, and on ASSIST (
  2. General education requirements (sometimes called “Breadth Requirements”). These are the courses required of all students to obtain a degree, regardless of major. They are designed to provide students with the knowledge, skills, and understanding which will enable them to function as intelligent and creative members of the community. General Education coursework consists of courses in writing, critical thinking, mathematics, arts and humanities, social and behavioral sciences, and physical and life sciences. Students can choose to complete the CSU-GE Breadth or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern to meet the general education requirements or follow the GE pattern of the receiving institution. The CSU-GE Breadth and IGETC will also confer a Certificate of Achievement when completed. 

    The CSU GE Breadth and IGETC patterns can also meet the requirements for the AA degree. See the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog.
  3. Electives. These are transferable courses of the students’ choice. After completing 1 and 2 above, the student may take “elective” courses to bring the total of all course work to 60 transferable units to qualify for admission.

Lower Division Major requirements

Students are advised to complete all of their transfer requirements during their freshman and sophomore years, as they may be required for admission at the four-year colleges in many instances. Exceptions to this will be found in the admission requirements for the particular college or university and/or the major department. Please check with the Transfer Center for additional information. Four-year colleges and universities often make changes in their requirements for majors and minimum coursework required for admission. Golden West College offers course requirements for most majors at most all four-year institutions. Students are encouraged to meet regularly with a counselor to develop a Student Educational Plan (SEP) and keep updated on admission and major requirements. Students are also encouraged to visit the campuses they are considering for transfer.

Applying to Four-year Colleges and Universities

Both the California State University and University of California systems require students to file an application for admission online during the appropriate filing periods. The CSU application can be found at and the UC application at Letters of recommendation are not required for the UC or CSU applications. Private/Independent colleges may host the application on their own website or use the Common Application. These campuses may require additional information including a resume, letters of recommendation, portfolio, or other materials. The Transfer Center holds application workshops for both the CSU and UC applications during the open filing periods each year. Additional assistance is available on a one-on-one basis for the Common Application and CSU/UC applications when needed. Please visit the Transfer Center on the 2nd floor of the Student Services Center for assistance with university applications.

Once an application is submitted, all UC campuses will require a Transfer Admission Update (TAU) and CSU campuses will require an application update, along with an additional supplemental application. Students applying to the CSU with an Associate Degree for Transfer will require "verification" of their degree status. Students are encouraged to work with the Transfer Center, and the institutions in which they have applied to ensure that required updates and documentation are submitted within the posted deadlines.