Academic Catalogs

California State University Admission Requirements

Admission information about campuses accepting applications is available at the Transfer Center or at CSU Apply ( Be aware of timelines! Priority filing periods are posted in the Transfer Center. Due to impaction at most campuses, many CSU campuses cease accepting applications for admission after the end of the initial application filing period.

Eligibility For Transfer

Upper Division Transfer Requirements: CSU requires a minimum of 60 transferrable units (90 quarter units) to apply for admission as an upper division transfer student. Most campuses will accept only upper division transfer students.

Students can meet minimum admission eligibility if they have completed at least 60 transferable semester (90 quarter) units, have a grade point average of 2.0 (C) or better in all transferable units attempted (nonresidents must have a grade point average of 2.4), and are in good standing at the last college or university attended. Prior to transfer, students will need to complete at least 30 semester units (45 quarter units) or courses equivalent to general education requirements with a grade of C or better. The 30 units must include all of the general education requirements in communication in the English language (English composition, oral communication, and critical thinking) and one course of at least 3 semester units in college-level mathematics. These four courses are commonly referred to as the “golden four.”

A maximum of 70 semester (105 quarter) units earned in a community college may be applied towards the bachelor’s degree. No upper division credit is granted for courses taken in a community college. Visit the website for CSU Admissions at: for more information about CSU Transfer admission.

Lower Division Transfer Requirements: a small number of transfer students enter as lower-division transfers. An applicant who completes less than 60 semester (90 quarter) units of college credit is considered a lower division transfer student. Transfer applicants with fewer than 60 semester or 90 quarter units must have a grade point average of 2.0 (C) or better in all transferable units attempted, be in good standing at the last college or university attended, and qualify for admission as first-time freshmen. Please note that all campuses give admission priority to upper division transfer students. Most CSU campuses do not admit lower division transfers.

Impacted Campuses and Programs

Many campus and individual majors may be impacted at CSU campuses. Impaction means that a campus has received more applications from qualified candidates the initial filing period than can be accommodated. In such cases, campuses use supplementary admissions criteria such as residency requirements, grade point average, required lower-division coursework, or test scores to screen applications. Applications for admission to an impacted program must be filed during the initial admission application filing period of (October or November for the fall term, June for the winter quarter, or August for spring term). Applicants to an impacted program at one campus are encouraged to apply to an alternate campus that offers the same program but which is not impacted.

To be considered for impacted programs at two or more campuses, applications must be filed to each.

Information about screening criteria is available in the Transfer Center or Counseling Office. See the following CSU web site for information regarding impaction.

Associate in Art for Transfer (AA-T) Or Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T)

The Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act (Senate Bill 1440, now codified in California Education Code sections 66746-66749) guarantees admission to a California State University (CSU) campus for any community college student who completes an “associate degree for transfer,” a newly established variation of the associate degrees traditionally offered at a California Community College. The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing these degrees (AA-T or AS-T) are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. In order to earn one of these degrees, students must complete 60 semester units of CSU-transferable coursework with a minimum GPA of 2.0. Students transferring to a CSU campus that accepts the AA-T or AS-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is designated “High-unit” major). This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to a university or college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a counselor when planning to complete the degree for more information on university admission and transfer requirements. For approved AA-T or AS-T majors please see a GWC counselor.

California State University General Education Requirements

As part of the requirements for a bachelor’s degree, all students must meet general education requirements. A minimum of 48 semester units is required for general education: 37-39 lower division and at least nine upper division units. All of the lower division courses for general education may be completed at a California Community College before transferring to a CSU campus.

There are two general education patterns that California Community College students can complete:

  1. The CSU GE Breadth Requirements is a lower division 39-unit pattern. Students must take specified courses in areas A-E (Certificate of Achievement for CSU GE Breadth).

    Up to 39 lower-division general education units can be transferred from and certified by a California Community College. Students who are certified with 39 semester units of lower-division general education units will be required to complete a minimum of nine semester units of upper division general education after transfer.

    It is important that students request that their California Community College certify completion of California Community College coursework that meets CSU general education requirements. Certification means that CSU will accept these courses to meet the CSU GE Breadth areas designated by their California Community College.
  2. The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (Certificate of Achievement) is the other pattern that California Community College students can use to fulfill lower division general education requirements at any CSU or University of California campus. The IGETC requires completion of a minimum of 37 semester units of lower division course work with a C grade or better in each course. (C- is not allowed. GWC does not use + or – grade option. This applies to courses from other colleges.) If students complete all IGETC requirements and their courses are certified, they will be required to complete at least nine semester units of upper division general education after transfer to a CSU campus. IGETC for the CSU requires that the student complete all of Area 1, including oral communication.

Because the IGETC is accepted by both CSU and the University of California, it is a good option if students are undecided about the school to which they will transfer.

Students should consult with your counselor to determine which general education program is most appropriate for their educational goals.

What Is Certification?

Courses taken at the community college may be used to satisfy general education requirements for graduation from CSU schools. However, such courses must be specifically identified and verified by the community college before they will be recognized by the CSU campus. However, such courses must be specifically identified and verified by the community college before they will be recognized by the CSU campus. This process is called certification.

Students must request certification from the GWC Records Office when the request for sending their final transcript to the CSU campus is made (Official Transcript Request Form). In order to complete the certification process, official transcripts from all colleges attended must be on file in the Records Office. If examinations, e.g. Advanced Placement, are used to meet IGETC requirements, official results must also be on file.

Students requesting certification must complete at least 12 units at GWC.

Students who complete all of the requirements of the CSU/GE or IGETC Certificate of Achievement are considered to be fully certified by the community college. (See the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum section for more information).

What Courses Can Be Certified?

Courses taken at any regionally accredited college or university may be certified. GWC students who complete all their general education courses at GWC can have those courses certified. Courses taken at another California Community College must be applied to the subject area in which they are listed by the college at which they were taken. For example, if a Psychology 100 course is taken at Orange Coast College where it is listed in Area D, it will be certified in Area D. This is referred to as “pass-along.” Also, courses can only be certified if they were on the college’s CSU GE Breadth or IGETC approved list at the time they were taken by the student. Students in the Coast Community College District who take courses at Golden West, Orange Coast and/or Coastline must make sure that the courses are in the areas they need to meet general education requirements. The general education patterns for all three district colleges are different.

CSU Locations and Contacts

CSU Bakersfield 2
Student Services Building 47SA
9001 Stockdale Highway
Bakersfield, CA 93311-1099
(661) 654-3036

CSU Channel Islands 1
One University Drive
Camarillo, CA 93012
(805) 437-8520

CSU Chico 1
400 West First Street
Chico, CA 95929-0722
(530) 898-6322

CSU Dominguez Hills 1
Welch Hall Room C290
1000 East Victoria Street
Carson, CA 90747
(310) 243-3645

CSU East Bay 2
25800 Carlos Bee Blvd.
Hayward, CA 94542-3035
(510) 885-2784

CSU Fresno 1
M/S JA57
5150 North Maple
Fresno, CA 93740-0057
(559) 278-2261

CSU Fullerton 1
Langsdorf Hall Room 114
800 N. State College Blvd.
Fullerton, CA 92834-9480
(657) 278-3100

Humboldt State University 1
One Harpst Street
Arcata, CA 95521-4957
(707) 826-4402

CSU Long Beach 1
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840-0106
(562) 985-5471

CSU Los Angeles 2
Student Affairs Bldg. Room 101
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032-8530
(323) 343-3901

CA Maritime Academy 1
200 Maritime Academy Drive
Vallejo, CA 94590
(707) 654-1330

CSU Monterey Bay 1
100 Campus Center
Seaside, CA 93955-8001
(831) 582-3738

CSU Northridge 1
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
(818) 677-3700

Cal Poly Pomona 2
3801 West Temple Avenue
Pomona, CA 91768-4003
(909) 869-5299

CSU Sacramento 1
Lassen Hall 1102
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819-6048
(916) 278-7766

CSU San Bernardino 2
5500 University Parkway
San Bernardino, CA 92407-2397
(909) 537-5188

San Diego State University 1
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7455
(619) 594-6336

San Francisco State University 1
1600 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94132-4002
(415) 338-6486

San Jose State University 1
One Washington Square
San Jose, CA 95192-0009
(408) 283-7500

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo 2
One Grand Avenue
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
(805) 756-2311

CSU San Marcos 1
333 South Twin Oaks Valley Road
San Marcos, CA 92096-0001
(760) 750-4848

Sonoma State University 1
1801 East Cotati Avenue
Rohnert Park, CA 94928
(707) 664-2778

CSU Stanislaus (4-1-4)
MSR 140
One University Circle
Turlock, CA 95382
(209) 667-3070