Religious Studies, Associate in Arts Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AA_RLST
Control Number: 04022
The Religious Studies program at Orange Coast College is designed to provide students with a broad introduction to the academic study of religion. Students transferring to Religious Studies programs at four-year colleges will have a strong background for upper division work in the major. Non-majors will find most Religious Studies fulfill area requirements for AA and transfer degrees.
- Students will be able to analyze dimensions of various religions utilizing methodologies appropriate to the academic study of religion.
Associate in Arts Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
- GLOBAL AND MULTICULTURAL REQUIREMENT (Required for AA degree only) Some of the courses listed in this requirement can also be used to meet General Education Requirements. Courses that are repeatable for credit can only be used once in this area. - Select one or more courses from the following totaling 3 units: Anthropology A100*, A100H*, A102*, A190*, Art A108*, Communication Studies A155*, Counseling A107*, A107H*, Dance A130*, A133*, A135*, A137*, A138*, Early Childhood A126, English A152*, A173*, Ethnic Studies A100*, A150*, Fashion A125, Food and Nutrition A185, Geography A185*, History A101*, A110*, A141, A142, A145,* A150*, A151*, A152*, A161*, A161H*, A162*, A162H*, Philosophy A120*, Psychology A105*, Religious Studies A110*, A120*, A140*, A150*, A160, Sociology A100*, A100H*, A115*, A150*, A190* *Denotes courses that fulfill CSU GE Breadth and/ or IGETC requirements.
|RLST A100||Introduction to Religious Studies||3|
|RLST A110||World Religion||3|
|RLST/PHIL A115||Philosophy of Religion||3|
|Select a minimum of nine units of the following:||9|
|Introdution to the Bible|
|History of Christianity|
|Life and Times of Jesus|
|History of Judaism|
|Mysticism and Meditation|
|Contemporary Religious Topics: Islam|
|The Bible as Literature|
or ENGL A141H
|The Bible As Literature Honors|
|Program Major Units||18|
|AA General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives as needed to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|