Philosophy, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer (AA-T)
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AAT_PHIL
Control Number: 32804
Students graduating with an Associate in Arts in Philosophy for Transfer Degree are well positioned to complete a Bachelor’s Degree in a similar major within the California State University system with 60 units of upper-division coursework. Students who complete the Philosophy AA-T degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. Students must maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum 2.0 is required for CSU admission, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult a counselor for more information.
The Associate in Arts in Philosophy for Transfer degree focuses on a critical analysis of philosophical history, ideas, and concepts as well the development of analytical, critical thinking, writing, and reading skills. Students choosing this major will study a range of Philosophical subjects including metaphysics, epistemology, logic, and ethics. In addition, students will learn how to identify philosophical principles and concepts, critically analyze texts, and generate proper arguments. Completion of this major will provide students with a well-rounded understanding of Philosophy and equip them with the skills of a philosopher.
- Articulate and critically evaluate philosophical arguments and theories.
- Students will be eligible and prepared for admission (SB 1440 and Education Code 66746) to California State University system schools.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees:
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
- Minimum GPA of at least 2.0 in all CSU transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors require a higher GPA. Consult with a counselor for more information.
- Completion of a minimum of 18-semester units in the major as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C or better.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU General Education Breadth — Option 2) OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC — Option 3).
|PHIL A100||Introduction to Philosophy||3|
|or PHIL A120||Ethics|
|PHIL A155||Introduction to Logic||3|
|or PHIL A220||Introduction to Symbolic Logic|
|Select one course from the Core not yet taken or of the following:||3|
|History of Ancient Philosophy|
|Logic and Critical Thinking|
|Select two courses from List A not yet taken or of the following:||6|
|Western Civilization 1|
|History of Western Civilization|
|Philosophy of Religion|
|Select two courses from List A or B not yet taken or of the following:||3-7|
|Critical Reasoning: Fiction|
|Introduction to the Humanities|
|Aesthetics/Philosophy of Art|
|The Theory of Knowledge|
|Program Major units||18-22|
|CSU or IGETC for CSU||37-39|
|Transferable electives as needed to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|