History, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer (AA-T)
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AAT_HIST
Control Number: 32218
Students graduating with an Associate in Arts in History for Transfer Degree are well positioned to complete a Bachelor’s Degree in a similar major within the California State University system with 60 units of upper-division coursework. Students who complete the History AA-T degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. Students must maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum 2.0 is required for CSU admission, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult a counselor for more information.
Lower-division history courses taken at Orange Coast College will introduce students to the broad sweep of historical events both within the United States and across the world and help them better understand the complexities of the contemporary world. To accomplish this, students learn to view the world from the perspective of people of different times, places, and circumstances. They learn that there is not just one simple explanation of the past. Foundationally, students will learn to read and analyze historical resources in the effort to develop valid arguments.
The most obvious application of a bachelor’s degree in history is to prepare individuals to teach, pursue historical research, and work in the museum field. In addition, the insights into the human experience and the skills gained through the study of history - to think clearly and analytically and to communicate effectively both in writing and orally - are excellent preparation for careers in many fields including data analysis, the criminial justice system, public service, and business.
- Students will be eligible and prepared for admission (SB 1440 and Education Code 66746) to California State University system schools.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees:
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
- Minimum GPA of at least 2.0 in all CSU transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors require a higher GPA. Consult with a counselor for more information.
- Completion of a minimum of 18-semester units in the major as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C or better.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU General Education Breadth — Option 2) OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC — Option 3).
|HIST A170/A170H||History of the United States to 1876||3|
|HIST A175/A175H||History of the United States Since 1876||3|
|Select one of the following:||6|
|World History 1|
|Western Civilization 1|
|World History 2|
|Western Civilization 2|
|List B (Area 1)|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Ethnic Groups of the United States: Their Histories|
|World History 1 1|
|World History 2 1|
|Women in History|
|List B (Area 2)|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|History of England and Greater Britain|
Any course not taken from above
|Program Major Units||18|
|CSU or IGETC for CSU||37-39|
|Transferable electives as needed to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
Courses may not be used to fulfill List B (Area 1) if already used to fulfill List A.