Theatre Arts, Associate in Arts Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AA_THEA
Control Number: 03991
Complete eighteen (18) units from the following and the Associate in Arts graduation requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog. If a student chooses this degree option, a plan must be developed with a counselor and placed on file prior to petitioning for graduation.
- Understand and demonstrate the fundamental performance and technical production processes for the theatre arts.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the historical and cultural dimensions of theatre, including the works of leading playwrights, actors, directors and designers, past and present.
- Develop a clear understanding of the interaction between script, actor, and audience and the areas of scenery, lighting, sound and costume.
Associate in Arts Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
- GLOBAL AND MULTICULTURAL REQUIREMENT (Required for AA degree only) Some of the courses listed in this requirement can also be used to meet General Education Requirements. Courses that are repeatable for credit can only be used once in this area. - Select one or more courses from the following totaling 3 units: Anthropology A100*, A100H*, A102*, A190*, Art A108*, Communication Studies A155*, Counseling A107*, A107H*, Dance A130*, A133*, A135*, A137*, A138*, Early Childhood A126, English A152*, A173*, Ethnic Studies A100*, A150*, Fashion A125, Food and Nutrition A185, Geography A185*, History A101*, A110*, A141, A142, A145,* A150*, A151*, A152*, A161*, A161H*, A162*, A162H*, Philosophy A120*, Psychology A105*, Religious Studies A110*, A120*, A140*, A150*, A160, Sociology A100*, A100H*, A115*, A150*, A190* *Denotes courses that fulfill CSU GE Breadth and/ or IGETC requirements.
|THEA A100||Introduction to Theatre||3|
|or THEA A101||Introduction to History and Literature of the Theatre|
|THEA A106||Acting Fundamentals||3|
|or THEA A129||Technical Theatre Practicum|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Drama Rehearsal and Performance - Beginning|
|Musical Theatre Rehearsal and Performance - Beginning|
|Comedy Rehearsal and Performance - Beginning|
|Elizabethan Play Workshop and Production|
|Select a minimum of nine units of the following:||9-10|
|Acting Fundamentals 1|
|Theatre Laboratory Level 1|
|Theatre Laboratory Level 2|
|Theatre Laboratory Level 3|
|Theatre Laboratory Level 4|
|Acting for Camera and Stage|
|Drama Rehearsal and Performance - Beginning 1|
|Comedy Rehearsal and Performance - Beginning 1|
|Musical Theatre Rehearsal and Performance - Beginning 1|
|Technical Theatre Practicum 1|
|OCC Theatre Repertory 1|
|OCC Theatre Repertory 2|
|OCC Theatre Repertory 3|
|OCC Theatre Repertory 4|
|Body Movement for the Actor|
|Voice and Articulation|
|Rehearsal and Performance 1|
|Program Major Units||18-19|
|AA General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives as needed to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
Courses taken as part of the core cannot be used to satisfy the unit requirement for this section.