Mass Communications/Media Studies, Associate in Arts Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AA_MCOM
Control Number: 03966
The Orange Coast College Associate in Arts in Mass Communication/Media Studies provides students with skills to understand the role of media institutions, analyze and create media texts, and evaluate the mass media landscape from a cultural, economic, and rhetorical perspective.
- Students will be able to access, analyze, evaluate and create media texts.
- Students will be able to understand the historical, economic, cultural, and aesthetic influences on media industries and media institutions.
Associate in Arts Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
- GLOBAL AND MULTICULTURAL REQUIREMENT (Required for AA degree only) Some of the courses listed in this requirement can also be used to meet General Education Requirements. Courses that are repeatable for credit can only be used once in this area. - Select one or more courses from the following totaling 3 units: Anthropology A100*, A100H*, A102*, A190*, Art A108*, Communication Studies A155*, Counseling A107*, A107H*, Dance A130*, A133*, A135*, A137*, A138*, Early Childhood A126, English A152*, A173*, Ethnic Studies A100*, A150*, Fashion A125, Food and Nutrition A185, Geography A185*, History A101*, A110*, A141, A142, A145,* A150*, A151*, A152*, A161*, A161H*, A162*, A162H*, Philosophy A120*, Psychology A105*, Religious Studies A110*, A120*, A140*, A150*, A160, Sociology A100*, A100H*, A115*, A150*, A190* *Denotes courses that fulfill CSU GE Breadth and/ or IGETC requirements.
|CMST A180||Introduction to Mass Communications||3|
|CMST A240||Media Literacy||3|
|JOUR A110||News Writing and Reporting||3|
|Select three of the following:||9-10|
|Film As Literature|
|Multi-Media Reporting and Producing Level 1|
|Principles of Advertising|
|Introduction to Photography|
|Introduction to Digital Photography|
|Program Major Units||18-19|
|AA General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives as needed to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|