Fitness Specialist, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_PEPT
Control Number: 03970
This program provides students with theory necessary to be effective in the health fitness industry (health clubs, corporate fitness, etc.). Students in this program will learn scientific principles of exercise and physical conditioning, techniques for the measurement of human performance, and methods for establishing healthy nutritional patterns.
- Students will have the knowledge, skills & experience necessary to assess an individual’s level of physical fitness and design appropriate exercise programming to improve physical fitness.
- Students will be qualified for careers as fitness instructors, exercise testing technicians, strength coaches, or personal fitness trainers.
- Develops a strong understanding of the business aspects of personal training, including effective practices, professional ethics, marketing, record keeping, and communication.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|KIN A270||Fitness and Health||3|
|KIN A280||Strength Conditioning/Theory||3|
|KIN A297||Fitness Specialist Practicum||2|
|KIN A282||Introduction to Exercise Physiology||3|
|KIN A296||Personal Trainer||3|
|KIN A298||Fitness Specialist Internship||2-3|
|Select a minimum of three (3) units from the following in either semester:||3-5|
|Nutrition, Fitness and Performance|
|Introduction to Kinesiology|
|Drugs & Sports|
Any Kinesiology active participation course KIN A105-A156, A205-256
Total Units - 19-22
|Program Major Units||19-22|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Degree Units||60|