Athletics Coaching, Certificate of Achievement
Not Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_CN_ATHC
Control Number: 39968
Graduates of this certificate will be able to actively serve as an assistant or head coach through the application of what is learned in exercise and athletic psychology, coaching theory, and the coaching practicum where theory-based methods are observed and practiced in supervised observations.
- Upon completion of the program, students will demonstrate how to safely train and prepare athletes and teams for practices and competitions.
- Students will be able to demonstrate and teach the skills and techniques to a variety of skill levels associated with the sport in their area of specialization
- Students will be familiar with techniques for motivating athletes and team performance.
Orange Coast College offers two types of certificate awards in career programs designed to prepare the graduate to enter a particular field of employment. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the certificate must be completed at OCC.
- Certificate of Achievement - 8 units or more in a state-approved program. Certificates of Achievement are not automatically awarded. A petition must be filed in Enrollment Services or online at the beginning of the semester in which the student will be completing his or her final requirements. The petitioning periods are listed in the Graduation Requirements section of this catalog.
- Certificate of Specialization - 16 units or less in a locally approved program. Certificates of Specialization are not automatically awarded, not printed on official academic transcripts, and there is no acknowledgment of completion given at graduation. Please contact the division for details regarding the submission of petitions as procedures for each division vary. Most division offices prefer that students complete all of the required courses and then provide a copy of the transcript while some divisions allow petitions for Certificates of Specialization before finishing.
Minimum Grade Requirement
In order to be awarded a certificate, students are required to obtain a grade of “C” or better in all program-required courses. Grades of “CR” or “P” will be accepted whereas “CR” or “P” meets the equivalency of a “C” or better. A list of certificate programs can be found in the Programs A-Z section of this catalog. Check with a counselor to determine the requirements for completion.
|KIN A203||First Aid and CPR||2|
|KIN A204||Techniques and Theory of Coaching Athletes||3|
|KIN A273||Sports Medicine||3|
|KIN A289||Mental Performance and Exercise Psychology||3|
|KIN A205||Coaching Internship||2-4|
|Restricted Electives: Select 3 units||3|
|Fitness and Health|
|Introduction to Exercise Physiology|
|Nutrition, Fitness, and Performance|
|Stress Management Theory and Application|