Residential Construction Development First Award, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_CTRS
Control Number: 08628
Students may select any combination of courses that total eighteen (18) or more units from the following list. Note: Construction Technology A165 and Construction Technology A195 are required for any first earned Certificate of Achievement. No course may be applied to more than one Residential Construction Development certificate.
Complete the Residential Construction Development First Award Certificate of Achievement and the Associate in Science graduation requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog.
- Demonstrate the knowledge, skills and experience to identify, assess, and participate in many entry-level construction trades.
- Be prepared to work in the construction field in positions including, but not limited to work areas such as inspection, management, and as hands-on skilled tradespeople.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|CNST A165||Construction Safety/CAL OSHA 1||3|
|CNST A195||Residential Code 1||3|
|Select 12 units of the following: 2||12|
|Green Building Codes|
|California Energy Code|
|Principles of Construction|
|Additions and Remodeling|
|Introduction to Construction|
|Building Construction 2|
|Blueprint Reading and Drafting|
|Land and Building Development|
|Residential Finish Carpentry and Finishes|
|Construction Supervision and Project Management|
|Business Law for Contractors|
|Masonry Construction II|
|Contrator'S License Law|
|Residential Electrical Wiring|
|Light Steel Frame Construction|
Required for First Certificate.
No course may be applied to more than one certificate.
|Program Major Units||18|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Degree Units||60|