Advanced Culinary Arts, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_CAAV
Control Number: 08670
This program is accredited by the American Culinary Federation Accrediting Commission. The requirements for the Certificate of Achievement in Advanced Culinary Arts include coursework covering a solid foundational knowledge of the restaurant and hospitality industry. Students will prepare food for dining guests in the school’s Captain’s Table Restaurant. The coursework will help to prepare students who are interested in a professional career in the Culinary Arts.
Complete the Culinary Arts Certificate of Achievement and the Associate in Science graduation requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog. Note: this AS degree requires 69-72 units for completion.
- Students will be prepared for employment as professional and competent culinarians.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
Culinary Arts (BASIC) Certificate of Achievement
|CA A100||Introduction to the Hospitality Industry||3|
|CA A120||Culinary Principles 1||3|
|CA A124||Principles of Baking 1||2|
|FN A140||Introduction to Nutrition Concepts||2|
|FSM A160||Sanitation and Safety||3|
|CA A122||Culinary Principles 2||3|
|CA A210 |
or CA A170
|Directed Practice for Culinary Arts 1 |
or Culinary Team Competition
|FSM A151||Food Production Management||2|
|FSM A190||Dining Room Service||2|
|FSM A240||Food Service Math/Accounting||4|
|CA A200||Garde Manger 1||2|
|CA A245||Culinary Principles 3||3|
|FSM A250||Menu Planning and Purchasing||3|
|FSM A260||Supervision and Training Techniques||3|
|FSM A275||Bar Management||2|
|CA A126||Principles of Baking 2||2|
|CA A215||Directed Practice for Culinary Arts 2||2|
|CA A255||Garde Manger 2||2|
|CA A265||Ala Minute Continental Cooking||2|
|FSM A285||Restaurant Management||3|
Advanced Culinary Arts Suggested Electives
|CA A226||Principles of Pastry Arts||3|
|CA A270||Ice Carving||1|
|Program Major Units||51-54|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Minimum Degree Units||69|