Academic Catalogs

Enrollment & Registration

Course Numbering System

Each course bearing unit credit may be used in one or more of the following ways:

  • As a measure of developing basic academic skills.
  • As a requisite to the Associate in Arts degree, or
  • As applicable either to the Associate in Arts degree or to an occupational certificate program, or
  • As a lower division course transferable to a four-year college or university.

Courses at Golden West College are numbered according to their basic purposes. However, categories listed below are general in nature, and the student is cautioned not to assume either that a course is better merely because its number falls into a particular group, or that its usefulness is limited to only one purpose.

Courses numbered 001-099 were created to help students develop occupational skills, to give students what they need to know for employment, to provide basic skills, as well as to provide meaningful general electives courses in two-year Associate in Arts degree programs.

Note: Interested students should consult a counselor to determine which occupational majors are offered for bachelor’s degrees at local four-year colleges.

Courses numbered 100-299 transfer to the state university and college system; 100-199 are usually first-year courses and 200-299 are usually second-year courses. Contact the Counseling Center for courses that transfer to the University of California and selected private institutions.

The primary purpose of courses numbered 900 and above is to provide knowledge and skills in selected areas of students’ needs and interests. Such courses are not designed to meet major’s requirements for Associate in Arts degrees or to qualify for transfer as part of a baccalaureate degree program.

Remedial Coursework Limits

No more than 30 semester units of course credit may be assigned to a student for remedial coursework except when the student is enrolled in one or more courses in English as a Second Language or is identified as having a learning disability. This limit may be waived if the student can show significant and/or measurable progress toward the development of skills appropriate to enrollment in college-level courses. Students needing remedial instruction beyond the course credit restrictions set forth in this section shall be referred to appropriate noncredit adult basic education programs.

Which English, ESL, or Math do I take?

Enrolling into English

In accordance with the state law AB 705, all incoming Golden West students can take ENGL G100 Freshman Composition , ideally their first semester. Based on the table below, some students may also elect to take ENGL G100S Freshman Composition with Support, which provides additional faculty-led support.


  • High school GPA of 3.0 or above: ENGL G100 Freshman Composition 
  • High school GPA of 2.60 - 2.99: ENGL G100S Freshman Composition with Support (recommended); ENGL G100 Freshman Composition (optional)
  • High school GPA below 2.60: ENGL G100S Freshman Composition with Support (strongly recommended); ENGL G100 Freshman Composition (optional)

For non-native English speakers who wish to improve their skills in speaking, comprehending, reading, or writing the English language, you may also complete My Academic Plan (MAP) or contact the Counseling Office at (714) 895-8119, to schedule an appointment with a Counselor for assistance in determining the appropriate placement into an English as a Second Language or English course.

Enrolling into Math

All students may enroll directly into transfer, college-level math. Placement is based primarily on high school grades.

Math Placement Rule: First-Level Transfer Courses


  • High school GPA of 3.0 or higher AND a grade of C or higher in Algebra 2 →  MATH G100 Liberal Arts Mathematics, MATH G104 Mathematics For Elementary Teachers, or MATH G160 Introduction To Statistics; no additional academic or support recommended
  • High school GPA of 2.3 - 2.9 →  MATH G100 Liberal Arts Mathematics, MATH G104 Mathematics For Elementary Teachers, or MATH G160 Introduction To StatisticsMATH G160S Introduction to Statistics with Support (recommended)
  • High school GPA of less than 2.3 →  MATH G160S Introduction to Statistics with Support (required); placement into MATH G100 Liberal Arts Mathematics or MATH G104 Mathematics For Elementary Teachers


  • High school GPA of 3.4 or higher AND a grade of C or higher in Algebra 2  MATH G115 College Algebra, MATH G120 Trigonometry; no additional academic support recommended
  • High school GPA of 2.6 or higher AND enrolled in high school Calculus  MATH G115 College Algebra, MATH G120 Trigonometry; no additional academic support recommended
  • High school GPA of 2.6 or higher OR enrolled in high school Pre-Calculus  MATH G115 College Algebra, MATH G120 Trigonometry; MATH G115S College Algebra with Support (recommended)
  • High school GPA less than 2.6 or lower AND no Pre-Calculus  MATH G115S College Algebra with Support (required), MATH G120 Trigonometry

If you do not meet the criteria for the highest math class you took, please re-take the class at the college level.

Note: The math class you take depends on your major and career goals. If you are not sure which first-level transfer course for math is right for you please speak with a counselor or take My Academic Plan (MAP) to identify your optimal math class.

MATH PLACEMENT RULE: Higher Level Transfer Courses

Students can place in MATH G140 Business Calculus, MATH G170 Precalculus, and MATH G180 Calculus 1 based on the following approved rule sets:


  • Pre-Calculus with a grade of C or higher  MATH G140 Business Calculus or MATH G180 Calculus 1
  • Trigonometry with a grade of C or higher  MATH G170 Precalculus

All rule sets use the overall, unweighted GPA. In the case of a two semester course, the student will need to earn a grade of C or higher in both semesters.

Repetition Policy – Courses

Course Repetition

In accordance with Title 5, sections 55024, 55040-55045 only courses which fall into the following categories may be repeated. Enrollment in two sections of the same course in the same term or part of term is not permitted.

Repeating Courses

It is possible to repeat a class only in certain circumstances as follows:

  1. In the course description in the catalog, the class is identified as eligible for repetition; or
  2. The class is eligible for grade remediation by repetition.
    Students are limited to three (3) total enrollments for most credit courses. Students will not be allowed to repeat a course more than three times. ‘W’ grades are counted as enrollments.
  3. Special classes which meet the needs of students with a documented disability may be repeated in compliance with Title 5, Section 56029, of the Education Code.
  4. Repeating a course in an effort to alleviate a substandard grade; Students who receive substandard grades (“D,” “F,” “NP” or “NC”) and/or one or more Withdrawals (“W”) on the transcript may attempt to successfully complete the course up to a total of two additional times within the Coast Community College District, if necessary to alleviate the substandard grade or successfully complete the course.

    After the third attempt to receive a passing grade in a course, the student may complete the Petition to Repeat form and submit to Admissions & Records for one additional attempt. Appeal forms are available in Admissions & Records. Students who are approved to take a specific course for the fourth time do not receive registration priority for that course and must wait until the first week of the semester or term to register. Petitions are only considered for documented extenuating circumstances. Students who withdraw and receive a “W” on each of the three allowable attempts, and are given permission to enroll by petition, will not be able to withdraw from the course again, and an evaluative grade symbol will be recorded. No further attempts will be permitted.

    If the substandard grade is repeated within the Coast Community College District, the Repeat/Delete grade exclusion will be automatically performed on the student’s academic transcript. The grades in the latest term will be the grade which will be used to calculate grade point average regardless of which grade was higher. Although the previous grade(s) will not be counted in the grade point average, they will remain visible on the transcript and the last recorded attempt is the course which will be counted in the student’s permanent academic history.

    When a student repeats an equivalent course at a regionally accredited college outside the Coast Community College District, they must file a Repeat/Delete Request and submit it to Admissions & Records along with an official transcript from the other college showing successful completion of the course.

    Repeated Course Grade Petition-Former Students
    To repeat a course in which the grade received was a "D," "F," or "NP," please complete an online request to have the original grade excluded by visiting,
  5. Repeating a course due to a significant lapse of time, where a passing grade (CR or P) or C or better was previously earned. A significant lapse of time is defined as at 36 months has passed. All coursework shall remain on the student’s permanent record. The previous grade and credit will be disregarded in computing the GPA. Course repetition based on significant lapse of time may only occur once. (Documentation of program requirements must be submitted with the request.)
  6. If a student has an extenuating circumstances – verified cases of accidents, illness, or other life changing event(s) beyond the control of the student that prevented them from doing well in the final attempt of the course documentation must be provided to Admissions & Records. Please contact the Admissions & Records office to discuss your options based on your individual circumstances.
  7. The course they wish to repeat is part of a legally mandated training as a condition of continued or volunteer employment. Regardless of whether or not a substandard grade (D, F, NC, or NP) was previously earned, the grade and unit credit shall be included each time for the purpose of calculating the GPA. (Documentation must be attached to certify that course repetition is necessary to complete legally mandated training).
  8. Repeating a course previously taken at another college. Substandard or non-substandard grades earned at another institution will not be alleviated by repeating a course at Golden West College. The grade and unit credit earned will be calculated and averaged in GPA.

Note: Some transfer institutions may elect to include both courses or may choose to use only the first grade taken in their computation of the grade point average to establish entrance requirements.

Important: The Course Repetition Policy and the Repeatability of Courses Regulations mentioned above are subject to change at any time during the academic year as new Legislative Bills may be introduced by State Legislation requiring changes to these policies and regulations. The District and College reserve the right to add, amend, or repeal any of the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures as necessary.

Repetition of Activities Courses—Families of Courses

Regulations governing the repetition of credit courses in the California Community College system eliminated repeatability in Dance, Drama, Physical Education, Visual Arts, and most Music courses. Intercollegiate Athletics and some Music courses that are required for transfer programs will be the only courses that will remain repeatable; all other courses previously offered as repeatable will be offered as one time enrollment courses.

While students will not, in most cases, be allowed to repeat active participatory courses in Dance, Drama, Music, Physical Education, and Visual Arts, they will still be allowed to enroll in a series of active participatory courses that are related in content (commonly referred to as a family of courses) a maximum of four times. This is a state regulation and applies to all Dance, Drama, Music, Physical Education and Visual Arts activity classes in the District.

For example, all Ballet courses are part of the “Ballet Family.” Repeatable courses that are related in content and taken prior to FALL 2013 will count toward the four enrollment limitation. Therefore, the “Ballet Family” includes DANC G120 Ballet 1 - Beginning, DANC G155 Ballet 2 - Intermediate and DANC G220 Ballet 3 - Advanced. A student who previously enrolled in DANC G120 Ballet 1 - Beginning twice can only take two more courses in the family; a student who previously enrolled in DANC G120 Ballet 1 - Beginning four times may not take any additional courses in the family.

A family of courses may include more than four courses, but students are limited to a maximum of four courses in any family, in the District. Further, all grades, including “W”s, will count toward the four course enrollment limitation and for computing the grade point average (GPA). Students can repeat Art, Dance, Drama, Music, and PE courses that are included in Families of Courses in which a “NP”, “D”, “F” grade was earned or “W” was assigned; however, all enrollments count toward the four enrollment maximum for each family of courses.

Auditing Of Courses

In accordance with California Educational Code Section 76370 and Coast Community College District BP 5030 and AP 5030, the governing board of a community college district may authorize a person to audit a community college course and may charge that person a fee pursuant to this section:

  1. If a fee for auditing is charged, it shall not exceed fifteen dollars ($15) per unit per semester. The governing board shall proportionately adjust the amount of the fee for term lengths based upon a quarter system or other alternative system approved pursuant to regulations of the board of governors and shall also proportionately adjust the amount of the fee for summer sessions, intersessions, and other short-term courses. In making these adjustments, the governing board may round the per unit fee and the per term or per session fee to the nearest dollar.
  2. Students enrolled in classes to receive credit for 10 or more semester credit units shall not be charged a fee to audit three or fewer semester units per semester.
  3. No student auditing a course shall be permitted to change his or her enrollment in that course to receive credit for the course.
  4. Priority in class enrollment shall be given to students desiring to take the course for credit towards a degree or certificate.
  5. Classroom attendance of students auditing a course shall not be included in computing the apportionment due a community college district.

To petition a course:

  1. The student must meet college eligibility requirements for admissions and be an active student in the Coast Community College District.
  2. The student may only petition to Audit a course if they are ineligible to enroll in the course for credit.  Students that have previously enrolled the maximum number of times allowed for credit or who have satisfactorily completed the course previously meet the requirements to audit.
  3. Petitions to audit are subject to instructor approval and will not be considered until the first class meeting and will not be considered after the last day to add a course as posted in the class schedule.
  4. Audit registration will only be processed after the last day to add a course as posted in the class schedule.
  5. All current and outstanding fees must be paid at the time of Audit Registration.  Auditing fees are non-refundable. Audit fees are not covered by a fee waiver or financial aid.
  6. All courses are potentially available for audit but will be approved at the discretion of the instructor, dean, and vice president of instruction.  

High School Equivalency 

General Educational Development (GED)

Golden West College provides Noncredit GED Test Preparation courses to prepare students with the reading, writing, science, and math skills necessary to successfully pass the GED exam.

The GED Test is used in California to award high school equivalency certificates. To register and schedule for the GED Test, test-takers must register online by visiting or by calling the Pearson VUE call center at 1-877-EXAM-GED (392-6433).

Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges

Golden West College is designated as a Servicemembers Opportunity College. This designation means the college provides servicemembers with: open admissions; credit awarded for USAFI courses and CLEP; opportunities to request waiver of residency requirements for graduation; credit for service schools; and opportunity to complete courses through non-traditional means.

Student Records

Active Records

Most requests for changes to a student’s current class program or information can be done online by logging in their MyCoastPortal or in Admissions & Records. Included are “adds” to program, “withdrawal from class,” “fee payments” and “address changes”.  Additionally, almost all services can be conducted online using electronic forms.  For a list of online services, please visit the Admissions & Records Forms page. 


Transcripts of academic work taken at Golden West College are available upon official request. Students make their requests online through the Parchment link located on the GWC website, Two transcripts and/or enrollment verifications will be provided free of charge. For each additional transcript, there will be a charge of $5. Students may request “rush” (next day) services for an additional $5 per transcript or verification. Fees are subject to change. 

Parchment has been retained as the designated agent for processing and sending official electronic transcripts on behalf of Golden West College. The electronic transcript that is produced using this service contains the identical information as the printed transcript and can be certified as unaltered by uploading the file to the company’s website that is provided during the delivery process. Parchment has been granted the authority to deliver all such electronic transcript requests on behalf of Golden West College and respond to any inquiries regarding transcript transactions.

Withholding of Student Records

In accordance with District Administrative Procedure 5035, the College Admissions and Records Director shall withhold grades, diplomas, enrollment verifications and registration privileges from any current or former student who fails to pay a proper financial obligation to the District. The student shall be given written notification and the opportunity to explain if the financial obligation is in error. The definition of proper financial obligation shall include, but is not limited to: student fees; obligations incurred through the use of facilities, equipment or materials; library fines; unreturned library books; materials remaining improperly in the possession of the student; and/or any other unpaid obligation a current or former student owes to the District. A proper financial obligation does not include any unpaid obligation to a student organization.

Cumulative Folders

Admissions & Records maintains an electronic cumulative file on each student who has records sent to the College. The electronic file, containing copies of high school and college transcripts, and other relevant academic information, such as records of military service and other awarded credit, is available for the student to review based on a written request. These files are the property of the college and become a permanent part of the student's academic record.


Admissions & Records will provide information regarding a student’s record upon written request by the student. There is a $5 charge. Two verifications and/or transcripts will be provided free of charge. This fee is subject to change. Golden West College also utilizes the National Student Clearinghouse for reporting enrollment status. Enrollment status is reported automatically several times during the semester or session.

Student Picture Identification

Students may be required to furnish picture identification in order to participate in certain classes and activities. All students are expected to have a Golden West College Photo I.D. Card. Free Photo I.D. cards are issued in Admissions & Records. To obtain an ID card, students should visit Admissions & Records located on the first floor of the Student Services Center, and present another form of unexpired photo ID and proof current of enrollment at the college.