Art History, Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer
Banner code: 2_AAT_ART
Financial aid: Eligible
The Associate in Arts Degree for Transfer in Art History is designed to acquaint students with the history of art and its function as a global language. This includes but is not limited to painting, drawing, sculpture, ceramics, printmaking, jewelry, photography, textiles, architecture, graphic and performance arts. Courses are designed to foster an understanding of visual communication through study in context, culture, social, political, economic and religious climates in differing historical eras. Students develop skills in visual analysis, interpretation of mages and texts, use of historical sources and engagement in scholarly debates. Students are constantly challenged to think creatively as well as disciplined ways as they learn about the history of art through the world's cultures. Students will be prepared for a baccalaureate degree in Art History.
Program Level Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the skills to undertake a conceptual analysis of art.
- Understand and apply concepts and methods of composition.
- Demonstrate knowledge of significant examples of the visual arts.
- Be prepared for ensuing courses of Art History and Studio Arts.
- Design and plan finished works of art.
- Create or manufacture finished works of art based on initial designs.
Associate Degree for Transfer Graduation Requirements
Associate Degrees for Transfer require students to meet the following requirements:
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units of degree-applicable courses,
- Minimum overall grade point average of 2.0,
- Minimum grade of “C” (or “P”) for each course in the major, and
- Completion of IGETC and/or CSU GE-Breadth.
Students should consult a GWC counselor in order to select the best pathway to meet their educational goals. For students who intend to transfer, the choice of general education will be specific to both their major and transfer institution.
|Required Courses — Core|
|ART G105||Art History and Appreciation 1 - Prehistoric to Renaissance||3|
|ART G106||Art History and Appreciation 2 - Renaissance to Present||3|
|ART G116||Drawing 1||3|
|ART G103||History of Asian Art||3|
|or ART G127||Art of the Ancient Americas|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|ART G107||Color and Design: 2D||3|
|ART G109||Color and Design: 3D||3|
|ART G118||Life Drawing 1||3|
|ART G121||Ceramics 1||3|
|ART G122||Ceramics 2||3|
|ART G130||Painting 1||3|
|ART G131||Painting 2||3|
|ART G150||Printmaking 1||3|
|PHOT G120||Darkroom Photography 1||3|
|HIST G180||Western Civilization 1||3|
|or HIST G185||Western Civilization 2|
|GE Pattern (CSU GE-Breadth or IGETC)||37-39|
|Total units that may be double counted||9|
|Transferable Electives (as needed to reach 60 transferable units) 1||12-14|
Credit earned in AAT