A Prerequisite is a requirement which must be met before enrollment in a course.
A Corequisite is a condition of enrollment consisting of a course that a student is required to simultaneously take in order to enroll in another course.
An Advisory (Recommended Preparation) is a condition of enrollment that is advised, but not required, to meet before, or in conjunction with, enrollment in a course or educational program.
Some courses require special permission or have mandatory prerequisites. If planning to enroll in one of these courses, the student must meet one of the following:
- Coast Community College District placement results
- Completion of the prerequisite course at GWC after 1989 with a grade of C or better or be currently enrolled in it at the time of registration and subsequently earn a grade of C or better, or
- Completion of the prerequisite course at another college with a grade of C or better.
An online Prerequisite Clearance Request must be submitted at least 10 days prior to the registration appointment. Students should allow 5 to 7 business days for processing. Students can upload any necessary unofficial documents (transcripts, AP scores, etc.) with the online request.
Note: Grades of “C-”do not meet the “C” grade or better requirement as defined for this purpose.
A prerequisite/corequisite challenge requires written documentation, explanation of alternative course work, background or abilities which adequately prepare the student for the course. A Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge Form can be obtained from the Counseling Office for all courses that have a prerequisite. Reasons for seeking a Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge Form may include one or more of the following:
- A prerequisite/corequisite is not reasonably available;
- The student believes the prerequisite/corequisite was established in violation of Title 5 regulations or in violation of the District-approved processes; the student believes the prerequisite/corequisite is discriminatory or being applied in a discriminatory manner; or
- The student has the documented knowledge or ability to succeed in the course without meeting the prerequisite/corequisite.
Note: A grade lower than a “C” in a prerequisite course may NOT be challenged through this process.
The college will respond to students filing the Prerequisite/Corequisite Challenge Form via email in a timely manner. If the challenge is upheld the student will be cleared to register for the class. If it is not upheld, the student will need to meet the prerequisite before enrolling in the class.