Photography-Still, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_PHST
Control Number: 03995
Anyone with an interest in photography, whether beginner, advanced amateur or professional, will find a course or program within the photography program that will teach them new skills and/or prepare them for a career in photography.
The OCC Photography program is intended to prepare students for employment in a number of specialization areas within the field of professional photography. The student, after completing the first year foundation courses, may elect to take advanced courses in art, commercial, advertising illustration, portraiture, architectural, fashion, or documentary photography, color management, digital work flow, and business practices for photographers.
In addition to courses intended to train photographers, the program also includes several black and white and digital classes for professional photographers who wish to learn new skills and/or for those who are interested in careers as photographic digital technicians.
Complete the Photography - Still Certificate of Achievement and Associate in Science general education requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog.
- Demonstrate competence in the technical skills of photography.
- Demonstrate the ability to evaluate photographic aesthetic strategies.
- Create photographs that illustrate a critical understanding of visual language.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Survey of Western Art from Renaissance to Modern|
|Survey of Modern and Contemporary Art History|
|Photography and Society|
|PHOT A123||Introduction to Digital Photography||3|
|PHOT A130||History and Aesthetics of Still Photography||3|
|PHOT A125||Imaging with Photoshop 1||3|
|PHOT A127||Darkroom For Photography Majors||2|
|PHOT A180||Introduction to Professional Photography||4|
|PHOT A188||Commercial Photography||5|
|PHOT A225||Professional Digital Workflow and Color Management||3|
|Select three units of “A200” level PHOT courses 1||3|
|PHOT A241||Business Practices for Photographers||3|
|PHOT A280||Professional Digital Techniques||3|
|PHOT A283||Art Photography||4|
|Select two units of “A200” level PHOT courses 2||2|
Photography - Still Suggested Electives
|ENGL A100||Freshman Composition||3|
|Minimum Program Major Units||41|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Degree Units||60|