Early Childhood Education, Associate in Science Degree for Transfer (AS-T)
Banner Code: 1_AST_ECE
Control Number: 31217
Financial Aid Eligible
Students graduating with an Associate in Science in Early Childhood Education for Transfer Degree are well positioned to complete a Bachelor’s Degree in a similar major within the California State University system with 60 units of upper-division coursework. Students who complete the Early Childhood Education AS-T degree are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. Students must maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework. While a minimum 2.0 is required for CSU admission, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult a counselor for more information.
The Mission of this program is to grant students an AS-T degree in Early Childhood Education with 24 units in the major and prepares students to transfer to a CSU. This degree gives students priority admission to a local CSU campus, in a similar major, with junior status. Students are encouraged to also complete additional units to earn an CDE Certificate of Achievement.
Students will be eligible and prepared for admission (SB 1440 and Education Code 66746) to California State University system schools.
Associate Degree for Transfer Requirements
The following is required for all AA-T or AS-T degrees:
- Minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
- Minimum GPA of at least 2.0 in all CSU transferable coursework. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors require a higher GPA. Consult with a counselor for more information.
- Completion of a minimum of 18-semester units in the major as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C (or “P”) or better.
- Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU General Education Breadth — Option 2) OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC — Option 3).
- A minimum of 12 units in residence at OCC.
|CDE A126||Teaching in a Diverse Society||3|
|CDE A127||Health, Safety, and Nutrition||3|
|CDE A155||Principles and Practices of Teaching Young Children||3|
|CDE A165||Observing and Recording Child Behavior||3|
|CDE A180||Child, Growth and Development||3|
|CDE A190||Family, School and Community Partnerships||3|
|CDE A200||ECE Program - The Curriculum||3|
|CDE A201||Early Childhood Practicum - Field Experience||3|
|Program Major Units||24|
|CSU or IGETC for CSU||37-39|
|Transferable electives as needed to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Degree Units||60|