Welding Technology, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_WELD
Control Number: 03982
The Certificate of Achievement program in Welding Technology is for those who desire advanced knowledge of welding for employment as welding technicians.
Welding inspectors, welding engineers, welding supervisors, and advanced welders. Students also completing the required general education requirements and electives may earn the Associate in Science degree. In addition, many OCC welding courses are transferable and can be used by those students who are interested in the welding engineering degree program at Ohio State University. Whatever the case, a person’s chances for the job of their choice are much higher when they have the technical background as evidenced by earning our Certificate of Achievement in welding.
Complete the Welding Certificate of Achievement and the Associate in Science graduation requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog.
- Acquire the necessary skills training for proficiency in taking a welding qualification test for certification which may be required for employment.
- Improve or develop additional proficiencies required for professional growth or advancement in their current employment.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|ENGL A100||Freshman Composition||3|
|WELD A100 |
or WELD A101
|Arc & Oxy-acetylene Welding |
or Arc & Oxy-acetylene Welding
|WELD A120||Mathematics & Fabrication Layout for Welders||4|
|WELD A200 |
or WELD A201
|Advanced Welding |
or Advanced Welding
|WELD A230||Welding Metallurgy||3|
|WELD A220||Welding Specifications and Codes||2|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Level 1|
|Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Level 2|
|Pipe Welding Level 1|
|Pipe Welding Level 2|
|Pipe Welding Level 3|
|Pipe Welding Level 4|
|WELD A210||Welding Inspection and Testing||4|
|MACH A120 |
or WELD A180
|Measurement and Blueprint Reading |
or Blueprint Reading
Welding Technology Suggested Electives
|WELD A115||Arc and Oxy-acetylene Welding Practice Level 1||1-2|
|WELD A215||Advanced Arc and Oxy-Acetylene Level 1||1-2|
|WELD A255||Orbital Welding Level 1||3|
|Program Major Units||27-30|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Degree Units||60|