Machinist, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_MTMC
Control Number: 03981
The Machinist certificate program trains students for positions as entry-level operators, which often are the first manufacturing jobs for industrial employees. This certificate program provides the skill and knowledge necessary for job candidates to become successful wage earners. This program also comprises the core courses for the more advanced certificates.
Complete the Machinist Certificate of Achievement and the Associate in Science graduation requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog.
- Machine precision manufactured parts using conventional lathes and milling machines and perform necessary measurements.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|MACH A100||Introduction to Machine Shop||3|
|MACH A120||Measurement and Blueprint Reading||3|
|MACH A121||Computations for Machinists||3|
|MACH A110||Milling Machine||5|
|MACH A115||Production Machining Techniques||2|
|MACH A130||Introduction to CNC and Manual Programming||3|
|Program Major Units||24|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Degree Units||60|