Level 2 Culinology® - Professional Level, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_CULN
Control Number: 04013
This Culinology® Level 2 option is articulated with the Food Science and Technology, Culinology® track in the Department of Human Nutrition and Food Science at Cal Poly Pomona. The coursework has received approval from the Research Chefs’ Association. Students must complete both Level 1 and 2 and meet the Associate in Science degree requirements. Students should certify their General Education coursework before transfer.
The Research Chefs’ Association suggests that students take additional Culinary Arts courses such as CA 255, Advanced Garde Manger and CA 265 Ala Minute Continental Cooking to enhance their culinary skills.
- Be competent entry-level Culinary and Food Science assistants meeting the employment needs of the community.
- Communicate and work effectively with Chefs, Food Scientists, and clientele.
- Be able to transfer to selected colleges in Culinology®.
- Culinology® students should obtain materials from the Transfer Center for complete details on transferable courses.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
Level 1 - Culinary Food Science Assistant Certificate of Achievement
|FN A100||Careers in Dietetics and Food Science||1|
|or NC A100||Careers-Dietetics/Fdsci|
|FSM A160||Sanitation and Safety||3|
|CA A120||Culinary Principles 1||3|
|CA A124||Principles of Baking 1||2|
|FN A195||Food Science||4|
|MATH A160 |
or PSYC A160
|Introduction to Statistics |
or Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
|CHEM A130||Preparation for General Chemistry||4|
|FN A185||Cultural Foods||2|
|FN A286||Directed Practice for Culionology®/Food Science||2|
|CA A122||Culinary Principles 2||3|
|CHEM A180||General Chemistry A||5|
|FSM A250||Menu Planning and Purchasing||3|
|BIOL A180||Introduction to Biology for Majors 1: Cell and Molecular Biology||4|
|BIOL A210||General Microbiology||5|
|FN A196||Food Science Quality Control||4|
|Program Major Units||57|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Total Minimum Degree Units||69|
Culinology® is the registered trademark of the Research Chef’s Association.