Computer Information Systems, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_CIST
Control Number: 03968
This program will meet major requirements for the Associate in Science degree but has not been articulated with any particular four-year institution. Students should not expect that they will necessarily meet the lower-division requirements at specific colleges or universities. Students should consult a counselor for specific transfer information.
This option provides the student with the lower-division transfer courses for some of the business oriented majors. Students are advised to check course transferability with an Orange Coast College counselor prior to enrolling in CIS courses.
- Students will be prepared for employment in entry-level positions in the computer and information systems industries.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|ACCT A101||Financial Accounting||4|
|ACCT A102||Managerial Accounting||4|
|BUS A110||Business Law||3|
|CIS A111||Introduction to Computer Information Systems||3|
|MATH A140||Business Calculus||4|
|or MATH A180||Calculus 1|
|Select one of the following:||4|
|Python Programming I|
|Introduction to C#.NET Programming|
|Introduction to Visual Basic.NET Programming|
|C++ Programming Language 1|
|Java Programming 1|
|Program Major Units||28|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Degree Units||60|