CCMA Eligible Program, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_MACE
Control Number: 04005
The Medical Assisting program includes specific business and clinical courses that prepare students for employment as clinical and/or administrative assistants in medical offices, clinics, or in related medical and business fields. The coursework can be completed in two semesters, and includes on-the-job experience in a medical office or ambulatory care center.
Orange Coast College is accredited by the Accreditation Commission of Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Such accreditation permits graduates of this program to take the California Certified Medical Assistant examination (CCMA) immediately upon graduation. The California Certifying Board for Medical Assistants has been administering the CCMA exam since 1990. CCMA is one of three Boards that is recognized by the Medical Board of California. The medical assisting profession is highly diversified, and the work is challenging and personally rewarding. Employment opportunities are excellent in the expanding health care field.
Allied Health 010 course – application and orientation
- The graduates of the program will be prepared for entry-level employment as a professional and competent Medical Assistant to meet the needs of the local health care community.
Complete the Medical Assisting CCMA Certificate of Achievement and the Associate in Science graduation requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
All prerequisite courses must be completed prior to admission into the program.
|ALH A010||Health Occupations||0.5|
|or ALH A012||Health Occupations for Dental and Medical Assisting|
|ALH A111||Medical Terminology||3|
|ALH A115||Patient Care||2.5|
|MA A150||Medical Assisting Core||3|
|MA A175||Administrative Medical Assisting I||3|
|MA A181||Clinical Medical Assisting 1||5|
|ALH A120||Human Diseases||2|
|MA A205||Administrative Medical Assisting 2||5|
|MA A281||Medical Assisting Clinical Experience||3.5|
|MA A289||Clinical Medical Assisting II Specialty Procedures||0.5|
|Program Major Units||24.5|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Transferable electives to satisfy unit requirement||Varies|
|Total Degree Units||60|
CCMA Eligible Program Suggested Electives
|ALH A130||Applied Pharmacology||3|
|BUS A138||Business English||3|