Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Associate in Science Degree
Financial Aid Eligible
Banner Code: 1_AS_DMS
Control Number: 04009
Diagnostic Medical Sonography (DMS) is a medical imaging modality using high-frequency sound waves to create images of specific areas of the body for which pathology may be diagnosed. A competent Sonographer must have a thorough knowledge of cross-sectional anatomy and pathology, as well as the skills to manipulate a wide variety of sophisticated instruments. The DMS Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). In addition to completion of the prerequisite and required courses below, this program requires completion of the Associate in Science General Education as listed in the catalog. Also, the completion of MATH A030 or higher college-level mathematics course is required by the CAAHEP and Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS). ALH A120 Human Diseases may be taken prior to program start. A “C” grade is required in all program courses.
Allied Health 010 course – application and orientation.
Students must complete Associate in Science degree graduation requirements and the program prerequisites prior to acceptance to the program.
- The outcome of the program is to prepare students as competent Diagnostic Medical Sonographers for employment in the imaging field as professionals to meet community needs, and apply the concept of life-long learning through professional growth activities.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
- UNIT REQUIREMENT - 60 UNITS, with at least a 2.0 grade point average. At least 12 of the units must be earned at OCC, with a minimum of one course taken for a letter grade. At least 3 units in an advanced course from the program must be completed at OCC. A student must be enrolled at the time of application for graduation. Units earned at an accredited college or university on a credit/no credit basis will be counted toward the degree requirements of the college, to a maximum of 15 units.
- MAJOR REQUIREMENT - Complete the AA or AS major requirements as detailed in the Degree and Certificate section of this catalog.
- MATHEMATICS REQUIREMENT - Demonstrate competence in mathematics by either obtaining a satisfactory grade (grade of “C” or better or“pass”) in a mathematics course at or above the level of Intermediate Algebra as demonstrated by prior coursework, or by demonstrating competency that is comparable through the completion of a college-level math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite: Psychology A160 or Math A100 or higher, with the exception of Math A220.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENT - Students may choose to complete Option 1 (OCC AA GE), Option 1 (OCC AS GE), Option 2 (CSU GE), or Option 3 (IGETC) to satisfy the general education requirement. See the General Education Patterns section of this catalog for more information.
|COUN A105||Strategies for College Success||3|
|ALH A010||Health Occupations||0.5|
|ALH A111||Medical Terminology||3|
|DMS A110||Introduction to Sonography||1.5|
|RADT A100||Radiologic Physics||2|
|ALH A115||Patient Care||2.5|
|ALH A120||Human Diseases||2|
|DMS A123||Sectional Anatomy for Medical Imaging||4|
|DMS A150||Sonographic Physics and Instrumentation for DMS||3.5|
|DMS A126||OB/GYN Sonography||4|
|DMS A155||Introduction to Vascular Ultrasound||2.5|
|DMS A165||Introduction to Scanning Practice||3|
|DMS A166||DMS Clinical Experience 1||2|
|DMS A167||DMS Clinical Experience 2||5|
|DMS A255||Advanced Vascular Ultrasound||2.5|
|DMS A271||DMS Clinical Experience 3||7|
|DMS A274||Abdominal Sonography||3|
|DMS A276||DMS Clinical Experience 4||2|
|DMS A275||Sonographic Review||3|
|DMS A281||DMS Clinical Experience 5||9|
|Program Major Units||69|
|AS General Education Option 1, 2, or 3||Varies|
|Total Minimum Degree Units||84|
Diagnostic Medical Sonography Suggested Elective