Liberal Arts: Emphasis in Science, Associate in Arts Degree
Banner code: 2_AA_LASCI
Control number: 19438
Financial aid: Eligible
This program is designed for students who desire a broad knowledge of liberal arts and sciences, plus additional course work in an “Area of Emphasis.” This program would be an ideal choice for students planning on transferring to the California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC), as the student may satisfy their general education requirements plus focus on transferable course work relating to baccalaureate majors at these institutions. Because admission and major preparation requirements vary at each transfer institution, courses used to fulfill requirements for an emphasis should be selected with the assistance of GWC Counselor.
Program Level Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a strong factual framework of knowledge about the natural world.
- Use critical thinking skills.
- Use a variety of experimental and analytical techniques.
- Use a variety of data collection and display methods.
Associate Degree Graduation Requirements
- Completion of General Education Requirements by one of the following methods:
- Completion of a minimum of 18 units as listed under Areas A through E, including the Cultural Diversity Requirement.
- Completion of a minimum of 39 units of CSU General Education requirements. Students who complete this pattern are also eligible to receive the Certificate of Achievement in CSU General Education Breadth.
- Completion of a minimum of 34 (UC) or 37 (CSU) units of Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements. Students who complete this pattern are also eligible to receive the Certificate of Achievement in IGETC.
- Completion of a Major or Area of Emphasis—a minimum of 18 units.
- Completion of additional elective units to a total of 60 units.
- 2.0 overall Grade Point Average at GWC and 2.0 overall Grade Point Average for all colleges attended.
- At least 12 units completed at GWC.
Students should consult a GWC counselor in order to select the best pathway to meet their educational goals. For students who intend to transfer, the choice of general education will be specific to both their major and transfer institution.
|Choose any combination of the following list to total at least 18 units: 1||18|
|ANTH G185||Physical Anthropology||3|
|ANTH G185L||Physical Anthropology Lab||1|
|ASTR G100||Introduction to Astronomy||3|
|ASTR G100L||Introduction to Astronomy Lab||1|
|BIOL G100||Introduction To Biology||4|
|BIOL G104||Marine Life||3|
|BIOL G104L||Marine Life Laboratory||1|
|BIOL G110||Ecology And Field Biology||3|
|BIOL G120||Health and Disease||3|
|BIOL G221||Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology||4|
|BIOL G160||Physiology And Disease Mechanisms||3|
|BIOL G225||Human Physiology||4|
|BIOL G180||Cell and Molecular Biology||5|
|BIOL G200||Pharmacology - Medications And Drugs||3|
|BIOL G210||General Microbiology||5|
|CHEM G110||Introduction To Chemistry||5|
|CHEM G130||Preparation for General Chemistry||4|
|CHEM G180||General Chemistry A||5|
|CHEM G185||General Chemistry B||5|
|CHEM G220||Organic Chemistry A||5|
|CHEM G225||Organic Chemistry B||5|
|GEOG G180||Physical Geography||3|
|GEOL G110||Physical Geology||4|
|GEOL G105||General Geology||3|
|GEOL G106||Earth Science For Teachers||4|
|PHSC G100||Introductory Physical Science||4|
|PHYS G110||Conceptual Physics||3|
|PHYS G111||Conceptual Physics Lab||1|
|PHYS G120||Algebra Based Physics: Mechanics||4|
|PHYS G125||Algebra Based Physics: Electricity/Magnetism||4|
|PHYS G185||Calculus Based Physics: Mechanics||4|
|PHYS G280||Calculus Based Physics: Electricity/Magnetism||4|
|PHYS G285||Calculus Based Physics: Modern||4|
|MATH||One class at level Math G115 or above|
|BIOL G220||Human Anatomy||4|
|GE Pattern (Local, CSU GE-Breadth, or IGETC)||18-39|
Must include three courses that include a laboratory. Students should check with a counselor to see which courses will transfer to their target university.