Liberal Arts: Emphasis in Mathematics, Associate in Arts Degree
Banner Code: 2_AA_LAMA
Control Number: 19437
Financial Aid Eligible
This program is designed for students who desire a broad knowledge of liberal arts and sciences, plus additional course work in an “Area of Emphasis.” This program would be an ideal choice for students planning on transferring to the California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC), as the student may satisfy their general education requirements plus focus on transferable course work relating to baccalaureate majors at these institutions. Because admission and major preparation requirements vary at each transfer institution, courses used to fulfill requirements for an emphasis should be selected with the assistance of GWC Counselor.
Program Level Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Solve linear and non-linear equations in the real and complex number system.
- Calculate probabilities of independent and mutually exclusive events and conditional probability using appropriate formulas and theorems.
- Compute derivatives of basic functions and the derivatives of their sums, differences, products, quotients, and compositions.
- Solve right-angle and oblique triangles and use appropriate laws to solve applied problems.
- Perform matrix operations, evaluate determinants, and solve systems of linear equations using appropriate computational techniques.
- Solve first-order differential equations.
|Select at least 18 units of the following: 1||18|
|MATH G100||Liberal Arts Mathematics||3|
|MATH G103||Statistics For Elementary Teachers||3|
|MATH G104||Mathematics For Elementary Teachers||3|
|MATH G115||College Algebra||4|
|MATH G140||Business Calculus||4|
|MATH G160||Introduction To Statistics||4|
|MATH G180||Calculus 1||4|
|MATH G185||Calculus 2||4|
|MATH G235||Applied Linear Algebra||4|
|MATH G280||Calculus 3||4|
|MATH G285||Introduction to Linear Algebra and Differential Equations||5|
|One science class from the list identified for the Science Area of Emphasis|
|GE Pattern (Local, CSU GE-Breadth, or IGETC)||18-39|
Selections must include one math course at the level of MATH G180 or above. Students should check with a counselor to see which courses will transfer to their target university.