Academic Catalogs

Environmental Science, Associate in Science Degree for Transfer

Banner Code: 2_AST_ENVS

Control Number: 41101

Financial Aid Eligible

The Associate in Science in Environmental Science for Transfer degree is an interdisciplinary degree that combines social science, policy and human behavior with physical and biological sciences. The degree consists of earth sciences and economics with a focus on the environment. Students will learn how natural processes work with human behavior and resource use and how productive activities degrade the environment. The program will also emphasize environmental policy and regulation as it relates to pollution. The degree emphasizes enhancement of quantitative skills to be applied to environmental applications and decision making. Courses in biology, chemistry, geography, geology, and physics explain the Earth's processes. Courses in social science examine human impacts on the environment, resource use, and regulation. The mathematical tools learned in calculus and statistics provide a foundation for measuring environmental impacts. Upon completion of the Associate in Science in Environmental Science for Transfer, the students will be prepared for transfer to pursue a baccalaureate degree in Environmental Science or Environmental Studies.

Program Level Learning Outcomes

Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:

  1. Develop an interdisciplinary perspective on the Earth's natural processes by applying the scientific method to environmental issues.
  2. Describe the role of humans' interaction with the environment through the use of natural resources and production.
  3. Compare and contrast global environmental policy in the aim of correcting market failures related to the environment.
  4. Explain how biological processes, such as water, carbon, oxygen, and nitrogen cycles, source and sink functions, and population biology, affect resource use and sustainability. 
  5. Analyze environmental patterns related to Earth's physical processes and geography, such as energy, heat, minerals, fossil fuels, landscape, and climate.

Associate Degree for Transfer Graduation Requirements

Associate Degrees for Transfer require students to meet the following requirements:

  • Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units of degree-applicable courses,
  • Minimum overall grade point average of 2.0,
  • Minimum grade of “C” (or “P”) for each course in the major, and
  • Completion of IGETC and/or CSU GE-Breadth.

Students should consult a GWC counselor in order to select the best pathway to meet their educational goals. For students who intend to transfer, the choice of general education will be specific to both their major and transfer institution.

Course Title Units
Required Core
Select one option of the following:
Option 1:
Cell and Molecular Biology
and Diversity of Organisms
CHEM G180General Chemistry A5
Option 2:
BIOL G180Cell and Molecular Biology5
General Chemistry A
and General Chemistry B
List A14-15
BIOL G110Ecology and Field Biology3
or ECON G130 Environmental Economics and Policy
Physical Geography
and Physical Geography Laboratory
or GEOL G110 Physical Geology
MATH G160Introduction To Statistics3-4
or ECON G160 Statistics for Business and Economics
or PSYC G140 Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
MATH G180Calculus 14
or MATH G140 Business Calculus
List B11
ECON G170Principles of Microeconomics3
Calculus Based Physics: Mechanics
and Calculus Based Physics: Electricity/Magnetism
Algebra Based Physics: Mechanics
and Algebra Based Physics: Electricity/Magnetism
Major Total40-41
Total units that may be double-counted12-16
GE Pattern (CSU GE-Breadth or IGETC)*31-33
Transferable Electives (as needed to reach 60 units)0-5
Total Units60

*This Transfer Model Curriculum presumes completion of IGETC or CSU GE Breadth for STEM, allowing for completion of 6 units of non-STEM GE work after transfer. Students who complete the CSU GE pattern can reach 60 units by completing the following course sequence from List A: ECON G130, GEOG G110, and any listed math course.

Recommended Program Sequence

These sequences are general course maps for students to finish all major and general education requirements for two-year completion of degrees, completion of short-term certificates, and/or fulfillment of transfer requirements. However, this may not be an appropriate path for all students.  The two-year sequence is based on English and Math placement and meeting other course prerequisites. Students are advised to meet with a GWC Counselor to review course selections and sequences to ensure that completion of this program will meet a student's transfer and career goals.

Year 1:

Course Title Units
Semester 1
ECON G130Environmental Economics and Policy (recommended to satisfy Area D: Social & Behavioral Science course)3
or BIOL G110 Ecology and Field Biology
CHEM G180General Chemistry A5
ENGL G100Freshman Composition ^4
Area A1: Oral Communication course3
Area C1: Arts course3
Course Title Units
Semester 2
BIOL G180Cell and Molecular Biology5
Physical Geography
and Physical Geography Laboratory
or GEOL G110 Physical Geology
MATH G180Calculus 14
or MATH G140 Business Calculus
Area A3: Critical Thinking course3-4

Year 2:

Course Title Units
Semester 3
BIOL G186Diversity of Organisms5
or CHEM G185 General Chemistry B
MATH G160Introduction To Statistics3-4
or ECON G160 Statistics for Business and Economics
PHYS G185Calculus Based Physics: Mechanics4
or PHYS G120 Algebra Based Physics: Mechanics
Area C: Arts & Humanities course3
Course Title Units
Semester 4
ECON G170Principles of Microeconomics3
HIST G170History Of The United States To 18763
or HIST G175 History of the United States Since 1876
Area E: Lifelong Learning & Self-Development course3
Area F: Ethnic Studies course3
Select one of the following:
PHYS G280Calculus Based Physics: Electricity/Magnetism (if PHYS G185 was taken)4
PHYS G125Algebra Based Physics: Electricity/Magnetism (if PHYS G120 was taken)4
Total minimum units required60

Program sequence may not be recommended for students who self-place into ENGL G100S. Students should see a Counselor for appropriate advisement.